Botched Abortion Victim: Gosnell “Left an Arm and Leg Inside Me”

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Apr 22, 2013   |   12:11PM   |   Philadelphia, PA

The Kermit Gosnell murder trial has exposed some gruesome and sobering details about Philadelphia abortionist Kermit Gosnell and his “house of horrors” abortion clinic. While jurors have heard details about a woman Gosnell killed in a botched legal abortion, they won’t hear much about other women Gosnell killed or injured in abortions.

In one of the earliest articles about Gosnell’s brutal practice, Operation Rescue Senior Policy Advisor Cheryl Sullenger divulged additional information about these women.

In one case, a woman getting an abortion from Gosnell received a botched, incomplete abortion that left parts of her unborn baby’s body still inside:

Gosnell’s recent troubles began when he killed Karnamaya Mongar, 41, on November 20, 2009, after she was overdosed on painkillers during an abortion in her 18th or 19th week of pregnancy. Some of the medication was illegally administered by an unlicensed worker, according to Gosnell’s suspension order. Mongar’s brother, Dambher Ghalley, told reporters that Gosnell’s abortion clinic was “dirty and bloody.”

But Mongar’s death was not the first for Gosnell. Semika Shirelle Shaw was killed in March, 2000; two days after Gosnell perforated her uterus during an abortion. She developed sepsis and died, leaving two children motherless. A lawsuit was settled for an undisclosed amount two years later.

Marie Smith is lucky to be alive after having had a botched abortion by Gosnell in 1999. She developed a high fever and slipped into unconsciousness a week after her abortion. She was rushed to the hospital where the source of her condition was confirmed.

“They showed me X-rays and said he [Gosnell] left an arm and a leg inside me,” Smith told a reporter. “I almost died. I thought he knew what he was doing, but I guess I was wrong.”

In fact, Gosnell has been named in over 40 lawsuits in the past twenty years.

One of those suits involved Dana Haynes, who had an abortion by Gosnell in November, 2006. Haynes alleges that Gosnell lacerated her uterus, cervix and her small bowel during the abortion.

Then there was the illegal abortion of 13-year old Malina Williams, who says she obtained an abortion by Gosnell without the required parental consent. Williams, now 32, told reporters that she could see bottles of jars filled with the remains of “little babies” and that after her abortion “she saw Gosnell cradling a bottle that contained the remains of her fetus.”



“Every time I go to the Internet, I find another horror story about this guy,” said Sullenger. “The story keeps getting worse, as we have found so many times doing our own investigations of abortionists across the nation. It is chilling to think of how many abortionists like Gosnell are out there that have not yet been exposed because of a general lack of oversight. The authorities just are not checking up on the abortion industry, unless something really bad happens to surface, as in this case. But what we do hear about is just the tip of the iceberg.”

Sullenger said, “If abortion clinics were inspected half as often as the local McDonald’s Restaurant, there would be no abortion clinics left open in the U.S. It really is that bad.”

“We pray that the exposure Gosnell has received will lead authorities to inspect and close every abortion clinic that presents a danger to the public – and that would mean all of them,” she concluded.