George Tiller Staff Member Quits Job at His Late-Term Abortion Business

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jan 1, 2009   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

George Tiller Staff Member Quits Job at His Late-Term Abortion Business Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
August 15,

Wichita, KS ( — Embattled late-term abortion practitioner George Tiller suffered another setback on Wednesday when pro-life advocates announced that one of his lonetime abortion facility employees is quitting her job. Marguerite Reed said she would not be returning to his abortion business if it reopens.

Tiller’s Wichita-based abortion center is closed while he faces 19 misdemeanor charges accusing him of doing illegal late-term abortions without the approval of a second physician.

According to the pro-life group Operation Rescue, Reed noted in a personal blog that she wouldn’t go back to Women’s Health Care Services if it reopens.

"I am perfectly content. Thank you, God," she wrote.

Reed, who had worked for Tiller for 12 years, was the employee who made a controversial call to 911 after mentally disabled Texas teenager Christin Gilbert suffered from a botched abortion.

Gilbert was bleeding heavily for over an hour on January 13, 2005, when Reed finally called an emergency dispatcher. She asked for an ambulance but wanted it not to put on its lights and sirens to avoid attracting attention to the abortion center.

"Please! Please! Please! No lights and no sirens!" she told emergency response, according to a transcript.

The dispatcher said that Reed was "evasive" and uncooperative in an attempt to not alert pro-life advocates that Gilbert was in serious condition. The 19-year-old eventually died and Tiller escaped prosecution in the case.

According to OR, Reed had often commented on her blog about her dissatisfaction with her stressful job and desire to be a stay-at-home mom where she could also pursue her love of writing.

She also talked about the stresses of having to deal with "all these crying people."

In comments to, Operation Rescue spokesperson Cheryl Sullenger said her group had often prayed for Reed hoping she would call it quits "and told her that on a number of occasions."

"I can’t imagine a more stressful place to work, given that the horrific nature of the business is compounded by Tiller’s criminal charges," she added.

"We are relieved that she is no longer directly involved in the abortion industry, and pray that she will find the peace that passes understanding that comes from seeking forgiveness in Jesus Christ," Sullenger concluded.