Abortionist Drops Lawsuit Against State After She Exploits 10-Year-Old Rape Victim

State   |   Micaiah Bilger   |   Dec 9, 2022   |   10:49AM   |   Indianapolis, Indiana

An Indiana abortionist who allegedly violated the privacy of a 10-year-old rape victim to promote abortion decided to end her lawsuit Thursday against Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita, who is investigating her.

CNN reports Caitlin Bernard, an OB-GYN with Indiana University Health and an abortionist in Indianapolis, sued Rokita to block him from receiving the patient’s medical records for the investigation, but a judge ruled against her last week.

On Thursday, Bernard’s lawyers filed paperwork to dismiss the lawsuit. A spokesperson for Rokita said Bernard’s action “is further confirmation that she was putting her political agenda above the privacy and safety of her 10 year old patient.”

Rokita recently asked the Indiana Medical Licensing Board to investigate Bernard for allegedly violating her “legal and Hippocratic responsibilities” by speaking publicly about a patient and failing to properly report child abuse to authorities.

In the summer, Bernard attracted national news attention after telling The Indianapolis Star about performing an abortion on a 10-year-old rape victim from Ohio after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and the Ohio heartbeat law went into effect.

Click here to sign up for pro-life news alerts from LifeNews.com

The attorney general said Bernard politicized the young victim when she should have kept the patient’s information private and she did not properly report the child abuse to Indiana authorities, as state law requires.

Here’s more from the Indianapolis Star:

“The doctor and her attorneys initiated this media frenzy from the beginning, and it continues to draw attention to this innocent little girl who is trying to cope with a horrific trauma,” Rokita said in a prepared statement last week. The administrative complaint against Bernard states that two weeks after the IndyStar story was published, a reporter showed up to the 10-year-old girl’s house in Ohio with video cameras.

In a statement Thursday, however, Bernard’s lawyer Kathleen DeLaney maintained that the attorney general’s allegations are “baseless.”

“We look forward to defending Dr. Bernard and her medical license against Rokita’s baseless attacks,” she said.

DeLaney also accused the attorney general of violating the law by “publicly discussing” the details of his investigation of Bernard, quoting the judge’s ruling last week.

But Kelly Stevenson, a spokesperson for Rokita’s office, told the AP that the judge’s “extraneous verbiage about the attorney general’s comments didn’t have legal value as the court itself acknowledged.”

Rokita has said Indiana authorities potentially may have been able to protect the little girl from further abuse if Bernard had followed the law and reported the abuse to authorities. In July, authorities arrested a 27-year-old Columbus, Ohio man and charged him with raping the girl.

However, Bernard denied any wrong-doing, saying she did not mention her young patient’s name to the news media and the abuse already had been reported to Ohio authorities.

Rokita responded that she still had a duty to report the abuse immediately, and simply concealing the girl’s name was not enough to protect her privacy.

“Bernard violated the law, her patient’s trust and the standards for the medical profession when she disclosed her patient’s abuse, medical issues and medical treatment to a reporter at an abortion rights rally to further her political agenda,” Rokita said, previously.

This is not the first time Bernard has been accused of failing to properly report a potential rape case involving a minor girl. As LifeNews reported in 2018, she and eight other abortion practitioners allegedly failed to file abuse reports in 48 cases involving pregnant girls who had abortions.

According to information Indiana Right to Life provided LifeNews, some of the girls were as young as 12 and 13. The alleged 48 instances occurred since July 1, 2017. Complaints were filed with former Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill and the Indiana State Department of Health. The Marion, Lake, Tippecanoe and Monroe county prosecutors also were notified.

Two members of Congress, including Rokita who was in the U.S. House at the time, called for investigations. However, after the accusations were made, nothing ever came of them.

Indiana law requires mandatory reporting of abortions on girls under 16 to the Indiana State Department of Health and the Indiana Department of Child Services within three days of the abortion so that authorities can investigate potential child sex abuse.