When Congress meets mid-June to discuss the Fiscal Year 2023 budget, the Biden administration’s pro-death radical agenda has a wish list of items that includes a $1.1 billion increase in the amount of taxpayer funding toward the killing of innocent unborn children.
This proposal includes the following longstanding appropriations provisions that will be removed or weakened:
– Remove the Hyde Amendment which prohibits federal funding for abortion, including insurance plans that include abortion, and has been America’s most effective pro-life public policy. The law has been renewed every year since 1976 on a bipartisan basis and a majority of Americans support it.
– Remove the Dornan Amendment which prevents appropriated funds (federal or D.C. revenues) from being used to pay for abortions for women in D.C. Medicaid program. Without this protection, D.C. taxpayer dollars could pay for an estimated 1,400 – 1,500 abortions every year.
– Increase funding for contraception, including for abortifacients such as abortion pills.
– Increase funding for the Title X family planning program to $400 million which allows grantees to be collocated with abortion clinics and requires referral for abortion. Title X was a prime funding source for Planned Parenthood, providing it with $56 million dollars annually when the rule was previously in place.
SUPPORT LIFENEWS! To help us stand against Joe Biden’s abortion agenda, please help LifeNews.com with a donation!
– Increase funding for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention to $111 million which has been a funding stream for Planned Parenthood. Its programs have been ineffective at reducing teen pregnancy, STDs, and risky behavior, and its curricula may actively support abortion and undermine parental involvement.
– Eliminate funding for “Sexual Risk Avoidance,” defined as “voluntarily refraining from non-marital sexual activity.”
– Decrease funding for International Population Control Programs by $3 million which is a funding stream for both international and domestically-based organizations that promote abortion internationally.
– Increase funding to the United Nations Population Fund to $56 million in the State Department request which has been found to support China’s population control program utilizing forced abortion and sterilization.
– Includes a notwithstanding provision that would allow funding to be provided overseas to “promote gender equality” internationally. If defined to include the provision or promotion of abortion, this language could be used to undermine existing protections, like the Helms and Siljander Amendments.
– Includes funding to be appropriated to the Gender Equity and Equality Action Fund, which replaced the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative. In June 2021, the Biden administration stated that this fund was part of its strategy to “advance sexual and reproductive health and rights,” a common euphemism for abortion advocacy.
In the meantime, approximately 70 Congressional Republicans have sent a letter to the Justice Department demanding an investigation into the deaths of 115 unborn babies whose remains were recovered on March 25 from Washington Surgi-Clinic on F Street Northwest. Three physicians associated with the Charlotte Lozier Institute have reviewed the photographs and video of the five largest aborted babies and stated publicly that appear to be victims of partial-birth abortion or infanticide.
Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) sent a letter signed by 23 senators and 46 representatives to Attorney General Merrick Garland demanding the Department of Justice investigate the deaths of these babies whose may have undergone unlawful partial-birth abortions or possibly infanticide.
In the letter, the members of Congress say in part, “We are gravely concerned by allegations brought forward that suggest a preborn baby underwent a partial birth abortion at the Washington Surgi-Clinic in Washington, D.C. We demand that you conduct a comprehensive investigation on the circumstances surrounding the deaths of each preborn baby. Alongside passage of the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003, Congress declared that ‘a moral, medical, and ethical consensus exists that the practice of performing a partial-birth abortion … is a gruesome and inhumane procedure that is never medically necessary and should be prohibited….We formally request that you direct the appropriate personnel at the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate whether these preborn babies were aborted in violation of federal law.”
Last week, nearly two dozen members of Congress sent D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser and the city’s chief of police stating that, “While other horrific methods of abortion unfortunately remain legal for the time being, killing a child through a partial-birth abortion is a crime under federal law. Under the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003, a partial-birth abortion occurs when a physician partially delivers a living child for the purpose of performing an overt act that intentionally takes the life of the child. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the federal ban on partial-birth abortions in Gonzales v. Carhart in 2007. Additionally, Congress passed the Born Alive Infants Protection Act to provide equal protections for children who are born alive during an abortion. If the bodies of other babies who were not aborted were recovered in a similar fashion, it would be hard to imagine the Metropolitan Police declining to conduct a thorough investigation into the death of each child.”
Their letter included, “These five children, like all children, have inherent value and deserved better than abortion – they deserved life. But at a minimum, they deserve to have their deaths investigated to ensure that no D.C. or federal laws were broken.”
Liberty Counsel Founder and Chairman Mat Staver said, “Shamefully, Joe Biden wants to increase taxpayer funding of the killing of innocent children. The legacy of Biden, Kamala Harris, and Xavier Becerra is one of death and human genocide with much blood on their hands.”