Sen. Bernie Sanders called for a nation-wide expansion of abortions this week, arguing that killing unborn babies in abortions aligns with his beliefs about “freedom and human liberty.”
The Vermont senator, an openly professing socialist, spoke with NBC 5 about his support for a radical pro-abortion bill that is advancing in the U.S. House.
Deceptively named the Women’s Health Protection Act, the bill would erase basically all restrictions on abortion and prevent states from enacting even modest protections for unborn babies. It also would force taxpayers to fund the killing of unborn babies in abortions. If it passes, the bill could take the United States back to the early years after Roe v. Wade when 1.5 million to 1.6 million unborn babies were aborted every year.
Sanders said he supports the bill because it promotes the fundamental freedoms upon which the state of Vermont was founded.
Follow LifeNews.com on Instagram for pro-life pictures and videos.
“I think what makes Vermont an extraordinary state is our belief in freedom and human liberty goes way back to the inception of this state,” he told the local news. “I think at the end of the day, we have absolute confidence that the voters in the state are going to overwhelmingly support the right of a woman.”
According to Roll Call, the Democrat-controlled U.S. House is expected to vote on the bill later this week, potentially Friday. It likely will pass the House, but pro-life lawmakers almost certainly will block it in the U.S. Senate.
Angered by the Texas heartbeat law, Democrat leaders hope to appease their pro-abortion supporters by passing the legislation. They are portraying the bill as a mere “codification” of Roe v. Wade, rather than admitting that it will force states to allow unborn babies to be aborted without limits up to birth.
Earlier this week, U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, a pro-life Republican, said the legislation would go far beyond Roe v. Wade and create government-mandated abortion on demand across the country.
“Roe v. Wade allowed for state laws, informed consent regulations, ultrasound requirements, parental consent or notification in the case of minors, aiming to protect women from coercion,” she said. “This bill would preempt and prevent these common sense laws that are permitted under Roe.”
If passed, the bill would:
- Eliminate all state and federal parental consent laws in relation to abortion
- Eliminate all state informed consent laws, including those that allow women to view an ultrasound prior to abortion
- Prevent states from passing laws to protect babies at 20 weeks, thereby joining countries like North Korea, China, Vietnam, Singapore, Canada, and the Netherlands in not protecting unborn children later in development
- Force doctors and nurses opposed to abortion to lose their jobs, and Catholic hospitals could lose public funds unless they perform abortions
- Eliminate decades-long limitations on direct taxpayer funding of abortion – including the popular Hyde Amendment, which has saved over 2 million lives since enacted
- In short, overturn all federal and state pro-life laws, and go further to make it illegal for elected officials to even introduce pro-life legislation
Polls consistently show strong opposition to the measures in the bill, including taxpayer-funded abortions and late-term abortions. A new AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll found that 65 percent of Americans think most or all abortions should be illegal in the second-trimester and 80 percent think most or all should be illegal in the third trimester.
ACTION ALERT: Contact U.S. House lawmakers and tell them to vote NO on this radical pro-abortion legislation.