Senate Democrats have introduced a new bill that would eliminate every single pro-life law nationwide.
The so-called Women’s Health Protection Act, “would invalidate nearly all existing state limitations on abortion,” said Jennifer Popik, director of federal legislation for National Right to Life.
“This legislation would also prohibit states from adopting new protective laws in the future, including various types of laws specifically upheld as constitutionally permissible by the U.S. Supreme Court,” she said.
Carol Tobias, president of National Right to Life, said the measure “would essentially remove all legal protections for unborn children on the federal and state level. The Women’s Health Protection Act is, in effect, a no-limits-on-abortion-until-birth bill.”
“Tragically, the only ones to benefit from such a law would be abortionists and abortion providers such as Planned Parenthood,” she added. “This legislation endangers women and their unborn children, would expand taxpayer funding of abortion and would no longer require that a woman be given information about the development of her unborn child.”
Follow LifeNews on the MeWe social media network for the latest pro-life news free from Facebook’s censorship!
The bill would end bans on elective abortions being performed after 20 weeks “when an unborn child is capable of feeling pain,” it said, and bans on the use of abortion as a method of sex selection.”
“Anti-sex selection laws generally have broad public support in the states in which they are enacted, including support from substantial majorities of women,” NRLC said. “The bill would also invalidate most previously enacted federal limits on abortion, including federal conscience protection laws and most, if not all, limits on government funding of abortion.”
Tom McClusky, president of March for Life Action, told LifeNews that “Democrats in Congress are proposing a bill that is not only dangerous for women, but is extreme in scope—attacking the unborn, health care professionals, and the pro-life movement at large.”
“The deceptively named ‘Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA),’ which is currently backed by 48 Democrat Senators, would virtually eliminate all pro-life laws currently in place to protect women, children, and healthcare workers from violating their consciences,” McClusky added.
If passed, here is what this bill would do:
- Eliminate all state and federal parental consent laws in relation to abortion
- Eliminate all state informed consent laws, including those that allow women to view an ultrasound prior to abortion
- Prevent states from passing laws to protect babies at 20 weeks, thereby joining countries like North Korea, China, Vietnam, Singapore, Canada, and the Netherlands in not protecting unborn children later in development
- Force doctors and nurses opposed to abortion to lose their jobs, and Catholic hospitals could lose public funds unless they perform abortions
- Eliminate decades-long limitations on direct taxpayer funding of abortion – including the popular Hyde Amendment, which has saved over 2 million lives since enacted
- In short, overturn all federal and state pro-life laws, and go further to make it illegal for elected officials to even introduce pro-life legislation
“As you can see, this bill would take pro-abortion extremism to a new and alarming level. To make matters worse, they have even erased all references to ‘women’ from the language of the bill, strangely only keeping it in the feel-good title,” McClusky said. “The radicalism of this Congress and their attacks on the inherent dignity of the human person are unprecedented. In the face of this bold radicalism, we must also raise our voices and defend mothers and the unborn from this agenda.”