The Biden administration’s pro-death radical agenda continues as the fiscal 2022 budget proposal includes eliminating the Hyde Amendment, which will destroy a 40-year ban on federal funding for abortions and force taxpayers to pay for the intentional killing of unborn babies.
The Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal money from being used to fund abortions through Medicaid, has been renewed each appropriations cycle with few changes every year. The amendment has had bipartisan support over the years and has been supported by Congresses controlled by both parties as well as presidents from both parties.
Originally passed in 1976, three years after the Supreme Court legalized abortion in Roe v. Wade, the Hyde Amendment did not take effect until 1980 when the Supreme Court ruled it to be constitutional. During those years between Roe and the implementation of the Hyde Amendment, federal tax dollars funded approximately 25 percent, or 300,000, of all U.S. abortions annually.
The Hyde Amendment has saved approximately 2.25 million children.
Other areas of abortion funding in the proposed budget include:
SUPPORT LIFENEWS! To help us stand against Joe Biden’s abortion agenda, please help LifeNews.com with a donation!
- The removal of the Dornan Amendment which prevents appropriated funds (federal or D.C. revenues) from being used to pay for abortion in the District of Columbia. Without this protection, D.C. taxpayer dollars could pay for an estimated 1,400 – 1,500 abortions every year.
- The removal of the Aderholt Amendment which prevents the Food and Drug Administration from approving the creation or genetic modification of human embryos.
- The longstanding HIV-Notwithstanding Provision is altered, allowing more funding for contraception, including for abortifacients.
- Funding for the Title X family planning program increased to $340 million from $286 million that allows grantees to be collocated with abortion clinics and requires referral for abortion.
- Funding for International Population Control Programs increased to $583 million from $575 million which is the funding stream for foreign organizations and domestically based organizations that also promote and may even perform abortion internationally.
- Funding protections removed for the United Nations Population Fund which required that it not fund abortions and that funds may not be directly used for country programs in China that include forced abortion and sterilization.
- Permanent tax credits in the American Rescue Plan Act that provide subsidies for plans that cover elective abortion.
- Support for the creation of a so-called “public option” that covers elective abortion for a government run health insurance offered through the Affordable Care Act marketplaces.
- Funding provided to “promote gender equality” internationally that can include the provision or promotion of abortion.
- Replaces the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative with the Gender Equity and Equality Action Fund and appropriates up to $200 million for the activities of this fund.
Tragically, America now has the most radical pro-abortion administration in history, which includes Kamala Harris and Xavier Becerra. In 2015, Harris launched the investigation into the work of Sandra Merritt and David Daleiden, the founder of the Center for Medical Progress, after these citizen journalists discovered and then produced videos documenting Planned Parenthood’s illegal trafficking of aborted baby body parts.
Harris personally met with six Planned Parenthood executives in March 2016 in Los Angeles. Two weeks later, Harris ordered a search warrant of Daleiden’s home specifically seeking unreleased videos and documents. Agents seized his laptop and multiple hard drives which should have been protected by the California shield law which protects citizen journalists’ unpublished materials. Planned Parenthood and Harris then unleashed a vicious two-front attack which included 15 criminal charges and a civil lawsuit seeking millions against these citizen journalists. As a result, Merritt and Daleiden became the first undercover journalists in the history of California to be charged with a crime for undercover recordings made in the public interest.
Throughout Xavier Becerra’s time as a U.S. representative and the attorney general of California, he showed support for barbaric abortion practices, including partial-birth abortion and infanticide, forcing taxpayers to pay for abortions and violating the consciences of Americans. Becerra tried to force pregnancy care centers to promote abortions in California and sued nuns, asserting they should pay for contraception and abortifacients. After he became attorney general, he continued Harris’ political prosecution of Merritt and Daleiden. The track record of HHS Secretary Becerra indicates how he will use his position to push a deadly abortion agenda.
Liberty Counsel Founder and Chairman Mat Staver said, “Shamefully, Joe Biden wants to eliminate the Hyde Amendment, which has protected taxpayers from funding abortions which brutally kills children. The Hyde Amendment has saved millions of precious lives for 40 years. The legacy of Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and Xavier Becerra is one of death and human genocide with much blood on their hands.”