Senator Marco Rubio Sponsors Bill to Defund Planned Parenthood Abortion Biz

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Apr 16, 2021   |   11:29AM   |   Washington, DC

Senator Marco Rubio is sponsoring legislation in the United States Senate that would defund the Planned Parenthood abortion business, which kills over 340,000 babies in abortions every year.

Rubio joined Sen. Joni Ernst and other pro-life senators in introducing the bill, the Protect Funding for Women’s Health Care Act, which would prohibit taxpayer dollars from going to Planned Parenthood and instead direct those funds to other eligible women’s health care providers. The bill also promises to ensure that there is not any reduction in federal funding for women’s health services.

“Taxpayer dollars should never be used to fund organizations that perform abortions, an inhumane practice that a substantial percentage of Americans have a strong moral objection to,” Rubio said in a statement. “Planned Parenthood should never receive federal funding, and this legislation would make that a reality.”

Under Rubio’s the defunding measure, Planned Parenthood or any of its abortion affiliates would be prohibited from receiving any federal funds. However, the bill says it will protect federal funding for health services for women, including cervical and breast cancer screenings.

Meanwhile, Joe Biden is rapidly becoming the most pro-abortion president in U.S. history as he takes multiple actions to expand abortions and force taxpayers to subsidize them.

On Wednesday, the Biden administration released a rule that will force taxpayers to fund the abortion industry through the Title X family planning program.

The rule, issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, will end a pro-life regulation that President Donald Trump put in place to ensure Title X grants are not used to subsidize the killing of unborn babies in abortions.

REACH PRO-LIFE PEOPLE WORLDWIDE! Advertise with LifeNews to reach hundreds of thousands of pro-life readers every week. Contact us today.

Because of Trump’s action, Planned Parenthood and other abortion groups left the program, choosing to prioritize abortions over actual health care. Planned Parenthood, a major recipient of Title X funds prior to Trump’s rule, was defunded of about $60 million.

“From day one, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have worked to pay back the abortion lobby that spent millions to elect them,” Susan B. Anthony List president Marjorie Dannenfelser responded in a statement. “President Trump’s Protect Life Rule respected both the plain statutory language of Title X and the strong majority of Americans who oppose using taxpayer dollars to pay for abortion on demand. Abortion is not ‘family planning’ and Biden-Harris Democrats pursue this extreme, unpopular agenda at their political peril.”

Title X funds are not supposed to be used for abortions. The program provides family planning services to low-income individuals, and the law states that Title X grants may not be used “where abortion is a method of family planning.”

Follow LifeNews on the Parler social media network for the latest pro-life news!

Trump’s rule made it even more clear that Title X recipients cannot refer women for abortions or provide abortions, thus ensuring tax dollars are not used to support the killing of unborn babies.

But Biden’s rule will allow abortion companies to begin receiving the funding again and allow them to refer Title X patients for abortions.

The rule must go through a public comment period and final review before it can be enforced.

Last week, Biden also proposed a $340 million (18.7 percent) funding increase for the Title X program in his federal budget.

HHS, under the new leadership of pro-abortion Secretary Xavier Becerra, claimed Trump’s rule “has been devastating to the hundreds of thousands of Title X clients who have lost access to critical family planning and related preventive health services,” according to Kaiser Health News.

Planned Parenthood CEO Alexis McGill Johnson said they plan to rejoin the program as soon as the new rule goes into effect.

“As the nation’s only federal program dedicated to providing affordable birth control and other reproductive health care to people with low incomes, Title X is a critical piece of our social safety net that can, and should, help ensure equitable access to essential health care,” she said in a statement.

But others warned that the program will be used to pad the already billion-dollar abortion industry’s bottom line and support killing more unborn babies.

Dr. Grazie Pozo Christie, policy advisor for The Catholic Association, told LifeNews that the newly proposed rule would undo important, life-saving progress in America.

“The newly proposed Title X rule fails to recognize that abortion has never been an accepted method of family planning” Christie said. “[It] would result in tens of millions of taxpayer dollars being once again funneled to abortion businesses like Planned Parenthood, when polls consistently show that U.S. taxpayers do not want to underwrite this life-ending procedure.”

Carol Tobias, president of the National Right to Life Committee, expressed similar concerns to NPR, saying abortion groups could use the money to encourage women to consider abortion.

“The agency that is getting the Title X funding can refer for abortion and tell [women], ‘Oh and by the way, we do abortions in this same facility if you want to set up the appointment,’” Tobias said.

The Trump administration rule, the subject of a current U.S. Supreme Court case, prohibits Planned Parenthood and other abortion businesses from receiving Title X tax dollars unless they completely separate their abortion businesses from their taxpayer-funded services. That mean housing their family planning services in separate buildings with separate staff from their abortion businesses. It also prohibits referrals for elective abortions.

A recent Marist poll found that, by a double-digit margin, a majority of Americans oppose taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).