Today the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) celebrated the continued momentum for pro-life women in Congress as Young Kim claimed victory in California’s 39th congressional district. Kim is the 17th new pro-life woman elected in the 2020 cycle. Out of these 17 women, nine have flipped seats formerly held by pro-abortion Democrats. This brings the total number of pro-life women in Congress to 27, more than double the previous record, with more races still to be called.
“This historic surge of pro-life women in Congress is continued proof that life is winning in America,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Nancy Pelosi and pro-abortion Democrats are now up against a stronghold of pro-life women who will stand up to their radical agenda and fight to protect longstanding pro-life policies including the Hyde Amendment and others like it, along with our gains under President Trump.
“These victories are a testament to the power of the life issue to motivate voters and unify Republicans to build a broad, winning coalition. Contrary to years past, today there is universal recognition in the Republican Party that protecting unborn children and their mothers is both morally right and politically smart. Following President Trump’s lead, pro-life candidates are going on offense to expose the extremism of their Democrat opponents and are finding tremendous success.”
A full breakdown of pro-life women victories and races yet to be called follows:
- Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) won election
- Sens. Joni Ernst (R-IA), Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), and Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) won re-election
- Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) advances to a runoff to take place January 5, 2021
- Six pro-life women will serve in the U.S. Senate next Congress, seven if Sen. Loeffler wins the runoff
- All 11 pro-life women incumbents have won re-election
- 17 new pro-life women elected to the House with two races still to be called:
- Maria Salazar (FL-27) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Yvette Herrell (NM-02) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Michelle Fischbach (MN-07) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Nancy Mace (SC-01) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Stephanie Bice (OK-05) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Ashley Hinson (IA-01) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Nicole Malliotakis (NY-11) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Michelle Steel (CA-48) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Young Kim (CA-39) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Lauren Boebert (CO-03)
- Beth Van Duyne (TX-24)
- Victoria Spartz (IN-05)
- Lisa McClain (MI-10)
- Kat Cammack (FL-03)
- Diana Harshbarger (TN-01)
- Mary Miller (IL-15)
- Marjorie Taylor Greene (GA-14)
- 2 races featuring pro-life women yet to be called:
- Claudia Tenney (NY-22)
- Mariannette Miller-Meeks (IA-02)
SBA List and its partner Women Speak Out PAC recently announced a $4 million independent expenditure campaign to elect Georgia Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, and expose their opponents’ radical pro-abortion agenda to preserve the pro-life majority in the Senate. The multi-channel effort will reach one million voters and includes voter mail, digital ads, voter calls and texts, and door-to-door canvassing.
The groups’ Georgia efforts are an expansion of their overall $52 million campaign for the 2020 cycle. The biggest election effort in the organizations’ history reached more than eight million voters across 10 key battleground states: Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. Details of the campaign in each can be found in SBA List’s 2020 Election HQ.