Disturbing statistics have exposed the rise in repeat abortions across the UK. Figures obtained by Sky News through freedom of information requests reveal that in 2018, 143 women underwent at least their eighth abortion.
SPUC says that these shocking figures show how society has “normalised abortion” and is “abandoning the most vulnerable women and girls to the mercy of abusive, predatory men and an unscrupulous abortion industry”.
The figures, obtained by Sky News and shared with SPUC under a freedom of information request to the Department of Health for England and Wales and NHS Scotland also expose:
- Five teenagers were among 718 women who had at least their sixth abortion in 2018
- 143 women had an abortion last year having previously had seven or more terminations – a 19% increase on 2017 and a 27% rise on 2016
- 172 women had their seventh abortion in 2018 – a 26% increase on 2016
- 403 women had their sixth termination – 10% up on 2017 and a 33% increase on 2016
- 1,298 women – including five teenagers – had their fifth abortion in 2018, while 4,389 women – including 23 teenagers – had their fourth termination
- Overall, 84,258 repeat abortions were performed in Britain in 2018, including 3,332 on teenagers – with the overall figure up 7% on 2017 and an 11% rise on 2016
A massive betrayal of vulnerable women and girls who need help, not abortion
Director of Campaigns for SPUC, Antonia Tully said: “Women having repeat abortions are crying out for help. A woman seeking her seventh or eighth abortion could easily be in an abusive situation where she is being repeatedly coerced into having an abortion. Alarm bells should be ringing loudly when teenage girls are having repeat abortions. Is anyone asking questions about why a teenager, possibly underage, keeps presenting for abortion? This is a massive betrayal of vulnerable women and girls who need help not abortions.”
Click Like if you are pro-life to like the LifeNews Facebook page!
“Among the reasons for the increase in repeat abortions is almost certainly the dangerous propaganda that abortion is safe and simple. Women in Britain can have abortions at home, away from any medical supervision. This harmful policy ignores the evidence that women aborting at home, often alone, can be left with serious mental health problems.”
LifeNews Note: Courtesy of SPUC. The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children is a leading pro-life organization in the United Kingdom.