A Kentucky grand jury refused last week to indict a woman who allegedly assaulted an older pro-life advocate in April, causing injuries that led to her hospitalization.
The Courier Journal did not report a reason for the grand jury’s decision not recommend charges against Janaya Alyce Gregory, 32, of Louisville, in the incident.
Local authorities initially charged Gregory with second-degree assault for allegedly pushing Donna Durning, 82, outside the EMW Women’s Surgical Center, the only abortion facility in Kentucky. Gregory pleaded not guilty, and a local abortion advocacy group set up a fund to help her pay for her legal fees, according to the local news.
The group even claimed Durning “staged a fall while harassing Gregory,” according to the report.
According to a Facebook post about the incident, Durning has been a pro-life sidewalk counselor for 23 years and, on April 12, she was assaulted outside the abortion facility in Louisville.
A surveillance video later confirmed what Durning and other pro-lifers said: A young woman exited the abortion facility and, as Durning approached her and attempted to give her literature with information about abortion alternatives, the woman pushed her to the ground.
“I had a little card from Little Way Crisis pregnancy center, and I just offered it to her. And I said, ‘Honey, if you need to talk to anybody, there’s a number on here,’” Durning told the local news.
At first, Gregory allegedly ignored Durning; however, she “turned back around and charged at the victim, bumping (the) victim with her body and causing (the) victim to fall backward,” according to court records.
On the video, viewers can hear someone scream after Durning was pushed to the ground. The woman, allegedly Gregory, quickly got in her car and drove away, as another sidewalk counselor walked to the vehicle, supposedly to write down the license plate number.
“Police officers were across the street at the time and came over as soon as they saw the attack. They took the abortion facility’s surveillance tapes. Witnesses wrote down the license plate number of the car Durning’s attacker left in,” according to LiveAction. That part is not shown in the video.
The AP reports Durning suffered a broken femur and head injuries, and spent time in the hospital and rehabilitation after the alleged assault.
Follow LifeNews on the Parler social media network for the latest pro-life news!
Local authorities said they will respect the Jefferson District Court grand jury’s decision.
LifeNews and other news outlets have documented numerous similar incidents against pro-lifers this year:
- Washington state – Video: Pro-Life Crosses Stolen from Campus Display (Students for Life)
- Pennsylvania – Catholic Church Vandalized with Pro-Abortion Graffiti
- Abortion Activists Threaten to Kill, Rape Family of Pro-Life Writer Matt Walsh (Daily Wire)
- Michigan – Pro-Life Office Vandalized after Lawmakers Pass Bill to Protect Unborn Babies
- North Carolina – Student Arrested for Stealing Sign from Pro-Life Advocates on Campus
- Alabama — Abortion Activist Caught on Camera Assaulting Pro-Life Woman, Punches Her Repeatedly
- California – Video: Student Destroys Pro-Life Display on Campus (Students for Life)
- Washington state – Police Investigating Arson after Pro-Life Display Set on Fire on Campus
- North Carolina – Video: Student Charged after Punching Pro-Lifer Repeatedly in the Face
- Pennsylvania – State Lawmaker Berates Pro-Life Woman, Attempts to Dox Pro-Life Teen Girls
- California – FBI Arrests Man for Allegedly “Serious” Death Threats against Pro-Life Speaker Ben Shapiro, Family (TMZ)
- Alabama – Abortion Activist Throws Paint inside Alabama House as Lawmakers Vote to Ban Abortion
- Texas – University of Texas Austin Student Pro-Life Materials Stolen, Thrown in the Gutter (Students for Life)
- More Than 50 Pro-Life Student Displays Vandalized This School Year (Students for Life)
- Texas – Abortion Activists Try to Shut Down Pro-Life Speaker With Smokebomb. They Failed
- Washington state – Conservative Student: Man Vandalized Display, Tried to Hit Her With Car Twice (The College Fix)
- Kentucky – Elderly Pro-Life Woman Attacked Outside Abortion Facility, Thighbone Broken
- Illinois – Thief Steals Pro-Life Students’ Display at Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville (Students for Life Blog)
- Texas – Two Pro-Life Republican Lawmakers Under Police Protection After Threats (Dallas News)
- Missouri – Pro-life Speaker Michael Knowles attacked during speech at University of Missouri-Kansas City (Campus Reform)
- California – Pro-Abortion Students Throw Pro-Life Display Into River, Protest Pro-Life Speech With Coat Hangers
- California – WATCH: Planned Parenthood Supporter Brutally Assaults Elderly Pro-Life Volunteer
- Massachusetts – Massachusetts Citizens for Life Receives Suspicious Package, Building Shut Down
- Michigan – Video: Abortion Activists Steal Crosses from Pro-Life Display at University of Michigan
- Massachusetts – Pro-lifer Punched in Face Outside Abortion Facility
- Connecticut – Pro-Life Students’ Display Vandalized at University of Connecticut
- Minnesota – Campus Republican Club Catches Students on Video Tearing Down Pro-Life Fliers (College Fix)
- Australia – Video: Pro-Abortion Students Vandalize Pro-Life Campus Display (LifeChoice Australia)
- England – Police Investigate Violent Attacks on Pro-Life People at Prayer Vigils
- Ohio – Abortion Activists Harass Pro-Life Rape Survivor, Police Called
- California – Abortion Activists Destroy, Steal UCLA Pro-Life Club Signs (Live Action)
- Virginia – Pregnancy Center Vandalized in Politically Motivated Attack
- Washington, D.C. – Abortion Activists Smash Pro-Life Sign, Hit Boy and His Dad With a Stick
- Texas – Pro-Life Advocate Brutally Assaulted for Telling Man “Jesus Loves You”