An abortion activist at Western Washington University intentionally set on fire a banner advertising an upcoming speaking event featuring Kristan Hawkins, the director of Students for Life of America.
The pro-life display was clearly intentionally set on fire and pictures show the charred remains of the banner advertising the upcoming pro-life event. Campus pro-life groups have always faced the threat of having their flyers taken down or vandalized but attempted arson takes the vandalism to a more illegal and life-threatening level.
According to Karlie Lodjic, the senior advisor of the Western Washington University Students for Life club, the students put the banner up on the Environmental Sciences building about two weeks ago, on April 25th.
On Saturday May 4th, the banner appears to have been burned off the wall. Based off the location of the banner, someone likely would have needed to use a ladder or some sort of device to burn or tear down the banner before burning it.
Kristan Hawkins said in a statement, “We strongly condemn this act of violence and intimidation. We challenge anyone who disagrees with us to come hear the presentation on Thursday instead of resorting to cowardly acts of violence.”
Lodjic blasted the vandal, saying, “Threats and intimidation of violence should not be tolerated at a university that values free-speech. Hawkins’ speech is open to the public and everyone is invited to come and debate and share their beliefs during the Q and A. Yet, these vandals chose to take out their frustration at the mere presence of dissenting points of views by committing an act of arson.”
REACH PRO-LIFE PEOPLE WORLDWIDE! Advertise with LifeNews to reach hundreds of thousands of pro-life readers every week. Contact us today.
A police report has been filed and the university is investigating the incident. The police have declared it an act of arson, according to an e-mail sent to the campus community.
Hawkins told LifeNews she is not surprised by the violence directed at pro-lifers and said it’s a pattern that has become increasngly worrisome and violent.
“In the last 24 hours, at Western Washington Universityin Bellingham, WA, posters announcing my campus speaking tour were lit on fire with no regard to the devastation that could have occurred if the flames were not put out. Meanwhile, a Pennsylvania state legislator who achieved notoriety harassing an elderly woman, Rep. Brian Sims, filmed himself hassling Students for Life student volunteers praying in front of an abortion facility, before he tried to dox the teenagers, threatening to make their names public to those who do not value pre-born life and who might be willing to harass those who do,” she said.
“It’s not breaking news that America has a “polarization” problem. Much of the animosity lives in the large-scale political arena. Democrats vs. Republicans, liberals vs. conservatives. But one particular issue draws out intense emotions like nothing else can: abortion,” Hawkins added.
Hawkins is speaking at Western Washington University this Thursday, May 9th, as the final stop for the semester on her Spring speaking tour.
Hawkins said that she would not call off her speaking tour, despite the arson at Western Washington University, adding, “Arson and violence will not intimidate me or Students for Life, and I look forward to coming to campus on Thursday to tell the truth about the lies of mainstream feminism. On a regular basis now, we are seeing acts of violence and intimidation against pro-lifers, including a smoke bomb at Ryan Bomberger’s speech and a Created Equal member being assaulted on campus. But the pro-life movement will not back down.”
These are the incidents LifeNews has observed this year:
- Pro-Life Student Clubs Were Victims of More Than 50 Vandalism Incidents This School Year
- Alabama – Abortion Activist Throws Paint inside Government Building as Lawmakers Vote to Ban Abortion
- California – FBI Arrests Man for Allegedly “Serious” Death Threats against Pro-Life Speaker Ben Shapiro, Family (TMZ)
- Texas – University of Texas Austin Student Pro-Life Materials Stolen, Thrown in the Gutter (Students for Life)
- Texas – Abortion Activists Try to Shut Down Pro-Life Speaker With Smokebomb. They Failed
- Washington state – Conservative Student: Man Vandalized Display, Tried to Hit Her With Car Twice (The College Fix)
- Kentucky – Elderly Pro-Life Woman Attacked Outside Abortion Facility, Thighbone Broken
- Illinois – Thief Steals Pro-Life Students’ Display at Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville (Students for Life)
- Texas – Two Pro-Life Republican Lawmakers Under Police Protection After Threats (Dallas News)
- Missouri – Pro-life Speaker Michael Knowles attacked during speech at University of Missouri-Kansas City (Campus Reform)
- California – Pro-Abortion Students Throw Pro-Life Display Into River, Protest Pro-Life Speech With Coat Hangers
- California – WATCH: Planned Parenthood Supporter Brutally Assaults Elderly Pro-Life Volunteer
- Massachusetts – Massachusetts Citizens for Life Receives Suspicious Package, Building Shut Down
- Michigan – Video: Abortion Activists Steal Crosses from Pro-Life Display at University of Michigan
- Massachusetts – Pro-lifer Punched in Face Outside Abortion Facility
- Connecticut – Pro-Life Students’ Display Vandalized at University of Connecticut
- Minnesota – Campus Republican Club Catches Students on Video Tearing Down Pro-Life Fliers (College Fix)
- Australia – Video: Pro-Abortion Students Vandalize Pro-Life Campus Display (LifeChoice Australia)
- England – Police Investigate Violent Attacks on Pro-Life People at Prayer Vigils
- Ohio – Abortion Activists Harass Pro-Life Rape Survivor, Police Called
- California – Abortion Activists Destroy, Steal UCLA Pro-Life Club Signs (Live Action)
- Virginia – Pregnancy Center Vandalized in Politically Motivated Attack
- Washington, D.C. – Abortion Activists Smash Pro-Life Sign, Hit Boy and His Dad With a Stick
- Texas – Pro-Life Advocate Brutally Assaulted for Telling Man “Jesus Loves You”