A Louisville woman is facing second-degree assault charges after she allegedly pushed an elderly pro-life sidewalk counselor in April outside the only abortion facility in Kentucky.
The Courier-Journal reports Janaya Alyce Gregory, 31, of Louisville, appeared in court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to the felony charge.
Pro-life sidewalk counselor Donna Durning said she suffered a broken leg and had to undergo surgery and rehabilitation after the assault.
Durning has been a pro-life sidewalk counselor for 23 years and, on April 12, she was assaulted outside the EMW abortion facility in Louisville, according to a Facebook post about the incident.
A surveillance video published by WLKY News confirmed what Durning and other pro-lifers said: A young woman exited the abortion facility and, as Durning approached her and attempted to give her information about abortion alternatives, the young woman pushed her to the ground.
On the video, viewers can hear someone scream after Durning was pushed. The woman quickly got in her car and drove away, as another sidewalk counselor walked to the vehicle, supposedly to write down the license plate number.
“Police officers were across the street at the time and came over as soon as they saw the attack. They took the abortion facility’s surveillance tapes. Witnesses wrote down the license plate number of the car Durning’s attacker left in,” according to LiveAction. That part is not shown in the video.
Here’s more from the latest report:
According to the criminal complaint, the woman initially ignored Durning, but then “turned back around and charged at the victim, bumping (the) victim with her body and causing (the) victim to fall backward.” …
Witnesses took down the car’s license plate number as the woman left, and police found that Gregory is the registered owner. According to the complaint, a Louisville Metro Police detective reviewed video surveillance and compared the footage with Gregory’s driver’s license photo.
Durning told the local news that she has been using a walker as she recovers from the injuries.
“This is a very, very serious offense,” Durning told the Courier Journal. “We can’t just let this fly by.”
Meanwhile, San Francisco police are still looking for the person who attacked an elderly pro-life man in March outside a Planned Parenthood abortion facility.
A video of the assault went viral in March after LifeNews.com shared it. It shows Ron, the 85-year-old leader of 40 Days for Life San Francisco, being knocked to the ground and kicked repeatedly by an unknown man wearing black.
LifeNews and other news outlets have documented numerous similar incidents against pro-lifers this year:
- Texas – University of Texas Austin Student Pro-Life Materials Stolen, Thrown in the Gutter (Students for Life)
- More Than 50 Pro-Life Student Displays Vandalized This School Year (Students for Life)
- Texas – Abortion Activists Try to Shut Down Pro-Life Speaker With Smokebomb. They Failed
- Washington state – Conservative Student: Man Vandalized Display, Tried to Hit Her With Car Twice (The College Fix)
- Kentucky – Elderly Pro-Life Woman Attacked Outside Abortion Facility, Thighbone Broken
- Illinois – Thief Steals Pro-Life Students’ Display at Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville (Students for Life)
- Texas – Two Pro-Life Republican Lawmakers Under Police Protection After Threats (Dallas News)
- Missouri – Pro-life Speaker Michael Knowles attacked during speech at University of Missouri-Kansas City (Campus Reform)
- California – Pro-Abortion Students Throw Pro-Life Display Into River, Protest Pro-Life Speech With Coat Hangers
- California – WATCH: Planned Parenthood Supporter Brutally Assaults Elderly Pro-Life Volunteer
- Massachusetts – Massachusetts Citizens for Life Receives Suspicious Package, Building Shut Down
- Michigan – Video: Abortion Activists Steal Crosses from Pro-Life Display at University of Michigan
- Massachusetts – Pro-lifer Punched in Face Outside Abortion Facility
- Connecticut – Pro-Life Students’ Display Vandalized at University of Connecticut
- Minnesota – Campus Republican Club Catches Students on Video Tearing Down Pro-Life Fliers (College Fix)
- Australia – Video: Pro-Abortion Students Vandalize Pro-Life Campus Display (LifeChoice Australia)
- England – Police Investigate Violent Attacks on Pro-Life People at Prayer Vigils
- Ohio – Abortion Activists Harass Pro-Life Rape Survivor, Police Called
- California – Abortion Activists Destroy, Steal UCLA Pro-Life Club Signs (Live Action)
- Virginia – Pregnancy Center Vandalized in Politically Motivated Attack
- Washington, D.C. – Abortion Activists Smash Pro-Life Sign, Hit Boy and His Dad With a Stick
- Texas – Pro-Life Advocate Brutally Assaulted for Telling Man “Jesus Loves You”