Judge Brett Kavanaugh entered the hearing room today after ten days of his character and his family being smeared day after day. After liberal politicians accused him and his supporters of being evil and saying that people will die if he is confirmed, he declared his innocence and blasted the confirmation process as “a national disgrace.”
He accused liberal senators of having replaced the Constitution’s “advice and consent” clause with “search and destroy.”
He told them that because of the hate and intolerance they have unleashed, he may never be able to teach again even though he loved teaching law.
Kavanaugh broke down emotionally at various points in his opening statement, but especially when describing how his ten year-old daughter recently prayed for Dr. Ford.
He told senators to judge him by the standard they would want applied to their father, their husband, their brother or their son.
This will go on for hours and we will continue watching. But I have never seen a more effective indictment of the radical left and its politics of personal destruction.
The left accuses people of racism, sexism and xenophobia because it knows it can’t win political arguments. The country doesn’t want open borders. The country doesn’t want abortion on demand. The country doesn’t want boys in girls’ bathrooms.
There were lots of tears from the left over illegal aliens separated from their children at the border.
Will anyone on the left shed a tear over what the Kavanaugh family, born in this country, has had to endure just because he answered the president’s call to serve our country?
More than ever, I am convinced that the left is out to rule America or ruin America. We must fight back. We must defeat the left to make America great again!
Ford v. Kavanaugh
Dr. Christine Ford also testified today before the Senate Judiciary Committee regarding her allegations against Judge Brett Kavanaugh. Dr. Ford, in my opinion, certainly came across as a sympathetic witness.
“I do not remember all of the details of how that gathering came together. . . I truly wish I could provide detailed answers to all of the questions. . . I don’t have all the answers, and I don’t remember as much as I would like to.”
After several hours of her public testimony, it didn’t appear to me that we were any closer to the truth.
We’re back to where we were when her accusations were first reported several days ago. She said. . . He said. . . And there are no corroborating witnesses. Not one.
In fact, all of the witnesses Dr. Ford identified as being present at the party in 1982, say it didn’t happen.
Even Mrs. Leland Ingraham Keyser, whom Ford identifies as a “lifelong friend,” says she has “no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where [Brett Kavanaugh] was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford.”
No matter how much one wants to believe Dr. Ford, you simply cannot ignore the fact that every witness she identifies says it didn’t happen.
So what are senators supposed to do?
I really don’t think it is a tough call. To destroy a man’s career and reputation over a totally unsubstantiated accusation is shameful and disgraceful.
Remember the Duke Lacrosse case?
Or the Rolling Stone hoax?
Lives were ruined in each case.
Yet once again, the left seems perfectly willing to believe a narrative, even if the facts are wrong.
As Daniel Henninger argues in today’s Wall Street Journal, the left’s new “Kavanaugh Standard,” would set a dangerous precedent in which “judgment can be rendered in the absence of substantive argument or any legal standard relating to corroboration, cross-examination or presumption of innocence.”
The Senators vs. The Judge
Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court is now in the hands of 100 United States senators. Who are the senators who now sit in judgment of Judge Kavanaugh?
For some, it didn’t matter who President Trump nominated. They declared their opposition even before Kavanaugh’s name was announced.
Senator Kamala Harris deliberately took a quote out of context that Judge Kavanaugh did not say to smear him. Kavanaugh was simply rephrasing the argument of one side in a case before his court. The Washington Post fact checker gave Harris its worst rating of “Four Pinocchios” for her deliberate smear.
Senator Richard Blumenthal lied about his military service. He claimed that he served in Vietnam when in fact he received “at least five military deferments” before eventually serving stateside in the Marine Reserves.
One senator has admitted to slapping his wife, giving her a black eye. Should he resign?
Another senator went through a messy divorce 32 years ago in which his ex-wife received a restraining order due to his “physical violence and abusive nature” and “extreme cruelty.” Should he resign?
And it recently came out that a very senior liberal senator had a Chinese spy working in her office for more than a decade while she served on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
So we have liberal senators who have treated women badly, who were utterly clueless, who deliberately broke Senate rules and deliberately lied about the nominee’s statements.
Here are several developments that broke late yesterday you may have missed.
- Two men have come forward alleging that Ford is mistaken about Kavanaugh and that they had a relationship with her in 1982.
- Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR) filed a lawsuit yesterday seeking a court order preventing the Senate from voting on Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation.
- It was reported yesterday that Julie Swetnick filed a sexual harassment lawsuit ten years ago. In that lawsuit, she was represented by Debra Katz’s law firm. Ms. Katz currently represents Dr. Ford.
- A Rhode Island man accused Judge Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting a friend of his on a boat in 1985. He recanted the charge within hours.
- Dr. Ford claims to have a fear of flying. It was this fear that allegedly prevented her from testifying on Monday. Yet we now know that she flew to Maryland in order to take her polygraph test, and she flew to Washington for today’s hearing. In fact, she has even taken numerous long international flights.
- Serious questions are being raised about that polygraph test. First, it is important to note that polygraph tests are not “lie detector tests” as is commonly believed. But Dr. Ford admitted today that she took the test after having attended a funeral, so she was presumably in an emotional state at the time. In addition, she has no idea who paid for it.
- Constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley described Ford’s test as “bizarre” and “largely useless,” adding that it “does not sound like any legitimate polygraph that I have encountered.”
LifeNews.com Note: Gary Bauer is the president of American Values, a national pro-family organization and is the former president of the Family Research Council. Bauer ran for the Republican nomination for president and appears frequently on radio and television programs.