The nation’s biggest abortion business has chosen a new president to replace outgoing CEO Cecile Richards. Planned Parenthood has selected pro-abortion doctor Leana Wen as it’s new president and CEO and Wen is not without controversy already.
Wen currently serves as the Commissioner of Health for the City of Baltimore and in that capacity she put her pro-abortion views front and center as she attempted to force pregnancy centers that provide women with abortion alternatives and pregnancy options to promote abortions.
Wen was named as a defendant in the lawsuit pregnancy centers filed against a 2009 Baltimore ordinance forced pro-life pregnancy centers to post signs in their waiting rooms notifying clients that they do not provide abortions. If pregnancy centers refused to comply, they faced daily fines of $150. The Supreme Court ultimately refused to hear Baltimore’s case to defend its law, and let stand it’s decision against a similar California law that it said violated the free speech rights of pregnancy centers.
In a 5-4 ruling Tuesday, the high court sided with California pregnancy centers in National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra, on the grounds of free speech violations.
Justice Clarence Thomas, who wrote the decision, commented: “[T]he people lose when the government is the one deciding which ideas should prevail…. This Court’s precedents are deeply skeptical of laws that ‘distinguis[h] among different speakers, allowing speech by some but not others.’”
“The litigation took years, but we are pleased to have achieved this favorable outcome under the First Amendment and have the strong precedent established by this case and the recent (California) ruling that religious nonprofits must be free to pursue their missions without being forced to deliver the government’s preferred message,” said David Kinkopf, an attorney who represents the archdiocese and the Center for Pregnancy Concerns.
The pro-life pregnancy center in Baltimore provides free services to 1,200 women annually, according to the archdiocese.
“I am reminded of a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that ‘the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice,’” Archbishop William E. Lori added.
Wen takes over Planned Parenthood at a time when it and the abortion industry are under investigation for potentially illegally selling the body parts of aborted babies.
Last December, the U.S. Department of Justice announced it is officially investigating whether the abortion chain Planned Parenthood sold aborted babies’ body parts for profit. A letter from Justice Department Assistant Attorney General for Legislative Affairs Stephen Boyd requested unredacted documents from the U.S. Senate committee that investigated the abortion chain in 2016.
The committee, as well as a U.S. House investigative committee, both recommended that the DOJ investigate Planned Parenthood after finding strong evidence that the abortion chain broke the law.
The investigation came about as a result of a series of undercover videos by the Center for Medical Progress that exposed the baby body parts trade inside the nation’s largest abortion provider.
“The Department of Justice … would like to request the Committee provide unredacted copies of records contained in the report, in order to further the Department’s ability to conduct a thorough and comprehensive assessment of that report based on the full range of information available,” Boyd wrote.
The department sent the letter, dated Dec. 7, to U.S. Sens. Charles Grassley and Dianne Feinstein, who led the committee, the Independent reports.
“At this point, the records are intended for investigative use only – we understand that a resolution from the Senate may be required if the department were to use any of the unredacted materials in a formal legal proceeding, such as a grand jury,” Boyd continued.
Planned Parenthood repeatedly has denied all allegations of wrong-doing. A spokesperson refused to comment on the letter Thursday for the Independent.
David Daleiden of the Center for Medical Progress praised the move, pointing to the undercover videos showing how Planned Parenthood employees callously and flippantly negotiated the price of tiny baby hearts, lungs, livers and brains.
“Since then, two Congressional investigations found even deeper wrongdoing and confirmed that Planned Parenthood Federation of America, several of their biggest affiliates, and multiple business partners broke the law in a profit-driven scheme to commodify dismembered baby body parts,” Daleiden said in a statement. “It is time for public officials to finally hold Planned Parenthood and their criminal abortion enterprise accountable under the law.”
The abortion chain Planned Parenthood receives approximately half a billion taxpayer dollars every year, while performing about 320,000 abortions annually.
The expose’ videos catching Planned Parenthood officials selling the body parts of aborted babies have shocked the nation. Here is a list of all 14:
- In the first video: Dr. Deborah Nucatola of Planned Parenthood commented on baby-crushing: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”
- In the second video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Mary Gatter joked, “I want a Lamborghini” as she negotiated the best price for baby parts.
- In the third video: Holly O’Donnell, a former Stem Express employee who worked inside a Planned Parenthood clinic, detailed first-hand the unspeakable atrocities and how she fainted in horror over handling baby legs.
- In the fourth video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Savita Ginde stated, “We don’t want to do just a flat-fee (per baby) of like, $200. A per-item thing works a little better, just because we can see how much we can get out of it.” She also laughed while looking at a plate of fetal kidneys that were “good to go.”
- In the fifth video: Melissa Farrell of Planned Parenthood-Gulf Coast in Houston boasted of Planned Parenthood’s skill in obtaining “intact fetal cadavers” and how her “research” department “contributes so much to the bottom line of our organization here, you know we’re one of the largest affiliates, our Research Department is the largest in the United States.”
- In the sixth video: Holly O’Donnell described technicians taking fetal parts without patient consent: “There were times when they would just take what they wanted. And these mothers don’t know. And there’s no way they would know.”
- In the seventh and perhaps most disturbing video: Holly O’Donnell described the harvesting, or “procurement,” of organs from a nearly intact late-term fetus aborted at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s Alameda clinic in San Jose, CA. “‘You want to see something kind of cool,’” O’Donnell says her supervisor asked her. “And she just taps the heart, and it starts beating. And I’m sitting here and I’m looking at this fetus, and its heart is beating, and I don’t know what to think.”
- In the eighth video: StemExpress CEO Cate Dyer admits Planned Parenthood sells “a lot of” fully intact aborted babies.
- The ninth video: catches a Planned Parenthood medical director discussing how the abortion company sells fully intact aborted babies — including one who “just fell out” of the womb.
- The 10th video: catches the nation’s biggest abortion business selling specific body parts — including the heart, eyes and “gonads” of unborn babies. The video also shows the shocking ways in which Planned Parenthood officials admit that they are breaking federal law by selling aborted baby body parts for profit.
- Unreleased Videos: Unreleased videos from CMP show Deb Vanderhei of Planned Parenthood caught on tape talking about how Planned Parenthood abortion business affiliates may “want to increase revenue [from selling baby parts] but we can’t stop them…” Another video has a woman talking about the “financial incentives” of selling aborted baby body parts.
- The 11th video: catches a Texas Planned Parenthood abortionist planning to sell the intact heads of aborted babies for research. Amna Dermish is caught on tape describing an illegal partial-birth abortion procedure to terminate living, late-term unborn babies which she hopes will yield intact fetal heads for brain harvesting.
- The 12th video in the series shows new footage of Jennefer Russo, medical director at Planned Parenthood in Orange County, California, describing to undercover investigators how her abortion business tries to harvest intact aborted babies’ bodies for a local for-profit biotech company and changes the abortion procedure to do so.
- The 13th video: exposes a Planned Parenthood medical director admitting that babies born alive after abortion are sometimes killed.
- The 14th video: catches Planned Parenthood executives discussing gruesome abortion procedures and the sale of body parts from aborted babies for profit.