President Donald Trump is on track to become the most pro-life president ever. That’s the assessment of the leader of one national pro-life organization who is pleased with what the new president has done already and just one year.
When Donald Trump was running for president against Hillary Clinton the majority of Americans who are pro-life knew very clearly that Hillary Clinton would be a staunch abortion proponent if elected president. What pro-life voters did not know is how Donald Trump would turn out to be as president. Trump had no track record either signing legislation as a governor or voting for legislation in Congress or the state legislature.
Trump campaigned as a pro-life president and said he was pro-life and opposed taxpayer funding of the Planned Parenthood abortion business. He also promised to sign certain pieces of legislation of passed by Congress. Those campaign Trail promises were the most that pro-life voters would have to go on when heading to The Ballot Box.
They gave Donald Trump a chance and most pro-life leaders believe he has not disappointed. Here is an overview of his record since being elected president.
- Within a week of taking office, President Trump reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy, which protects $9 billion in foreign aid from being used to fund the global abortion industry and its advocates.
- President Trump cut off taxpayer funding for the U.N. Population Fund.
- President Trump signed H.J. Res. 43 into law, overturning a midnight regulation by the Obama Administration, which prohibited States from defunding certain abortion facilities in their Federally funded family planning programs.
- President Trump expressed strong support for the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would have stopped late-term abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy—the point at which science tells us that an unborn child can experience pain.
- President Trump’s Administration issued guidance to enforce the requirement that taxpayer dollars not support abortion coverage in Obamacare exchange plans.
- President Trump rescinded an Obama-era policy that hindered States in their efforts to direct Medicaid funding away from abortion facilities that violate the law or fail to meet relevant standards of care.
In January 2018, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced three major policy changes to protect freedom of religion and the rights of pro-life doctors and nurses, including:
- forming a new Conscience and Religious Freedom Division, providing HHS with the focus it needs to more vigorously and effectively enforce existing laws protecting the rights of conscience and religious freedom; and
- proposing to more vigorously enforce 25 existing statutory conscience protections for Americans involved in HHS programs, protecting Americans who have religious or moral convictions related to certain health care services.
Click here to sign up for pro-life news alerts from LifeNews.com
Family Research Council President Tony Perkins tells LifeNews that President Trump is the real pro-life deal.
“President Trump is on track to being the most pro-life president this country has ever seen. The president has gone beyond stopping the pro-abortion policies of Barack Obama, he is restoring and even expanding the pre-Obama pro-life policies,” he said.
“After past elections, voters have become accustomed to elected officials pivoting away from promises. But this is a president who is doing something rare in American politics — fulfilling campaign promises including protecting taxpayers from having to pay for abortions. This is a life-or-death promise that the president has delivered on,” Perkins said.
Perkins said a new report makes it clear Trump is having an impact — namely that International Planned Parenthood is not getting taxpayer funds.
“The report issued today shows that the Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance plan which President Trump signed into law can both seamlessly provide healthcare and global aid assistance while promoting human life. It shows that both can be accomplished without subsidizing the international abortion industry,” he added. “For America to regain its moral leadership in the world, it must continue to act on the universal ideal that all human beings have inherent worth and dignity, regardless of their age or nationality.”
“Family Research Council and the pro-life movement looks forward to continuing to work with the Trump administration in bringing about a culture of life in which every child is welcomed into this world and protected under our laws, both here and abroad while promoting healthcare and global aid,” concluded Perkins.