The number of abortions in Louisiana decreased by 10 percent from 2014 to 2015, according to preliminary figures provided to Louisiana Right to Life recently by the Louisiana Department of Health.
There were 9,311 abortions performed in Louisiana in 2015, down from 10,211 abortions reported in 2014. The number of abortions performed in the state had increased steadily since 2008, when population numbers began returning to pre-Katrina levels. The 2015 figure is the lowest total number of abortions in the state since 2012, when 9,225 abortions were reported.
Even with numbers going down, on average, 26 abortions per day were performed in Louisiana in 2015, and Louisiana Right to Life will continue working hard to reduce these numbers until every baby is saved.
“While 9,311 abortions is 9,311 too many, we are pleased to see a 10 percent decrease in abortions in 2015,” said Benjamin Clapper, executive director of Louisiana Right to Life. “More than two babies per day were saved in 2015 versus 2014! We congratulate the many pregnancy resource centers around the state that help mothers both before and after birth to choose life for their precious babies.”
Caddo Parish had the highest number of abortions in a single parish with 3,243, while the greater New Orleans area saw the most abortions performed – 3,750. Of those, 1,921 of were performed in Jefferson Parish, but the Causeway Medical Clinic in Metairie has since closed its doors.
Out-of-state residents accounted for 15 percent (or 1,362) of all abortions. This number is down slightly from 2014, when 1,432 women traveled across state lines into Louisiana for the procedure.
Some quick facts about the 2015 statistics in Louisiana:
- There were 9,311 abortions performed in 2015. That means there were, on average, 26 abortions per day.
- 37 girls under the age of 15 had abortions in 2015. Another 822 girls between the ages of 15-19 aborted their babies.
- The largest number of abortions – 2,916 – were performed on women between the ages of 20-24. There were also 1,140 women ages 35 and older who had abortions in 2015.
- Women categorized as “non-white” accounted for 70% of abortions performed in 2015.
- 87% of women who had abortions in 2015 were unmarried.
- 66% of babies were aborted within eight weeks of pregnancy.