Abortion advocates in Congress are using the tragic shooting at a Planned Parenthood abortion business to attempt to stop the investigation into its sales of aborted baby body parts.
Sen. Barbara Boxer, a California Democrat and ardent abortion defender, is attempting to detail the committee and issued a letter to pro-life Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, a Tennessee Republican, calling for her to disband the main committee charged with investigating the sales of aborted babies and their body parts.
But Blackburn is responding to those calls and defending the committee — saying Democrats are wrong to politicize the terrible shooting to try to stop the committee’s work.
“Instead of playing politics with this tragedy, maybe those on the left, like Senator Barbara Boxer, should actually take the time to read the resolution establishing the Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives,” Blackburn said. “At no point does it mention Planned Parenthood.
“We are focused on a fact-finding mission into abortion practices and fetal tissue procurement and the relationship between the two businesses,” she said.
Rep. Diane Black, another pro-life Republican from Tennessee, also defended the committee’s work in light of the shooting in an op-ed at TownHall:
Last Friday, a deranged man opened fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, killing three and injuring nine. While the killer reportedly spoke of opposition to abortion at the time of his arrest, his actions are antithetical to the heart of the pro-life movement. They enrage all of us who believe in the sanctity of life at every stage, born and unborn – including the lives of those with whom we may disagree – and they have no place in our country.
The murderer behind these vicious attacks, Robert Dear, did not just take innocent life that day. With his words and his actions, he also perverted a cause that is precious to so many of us. The heart of the pro-life movement is a heart of compassion, but on Friday Americans saw hatred and violence which the media and Planned Parenthood have now wrapped under a fraudulent cloak of ‘pro-life’ beliefs.
Details on Dear’s motive are still emerging, but Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards has already linked the attack to “smear campaigns against abortion providers” and those who “put politics ahead of women’s health care.” Similarly, Planned Parenthood Rocky Mountains President Vicki Cowart, lamented the “negative environment [that] has been created around the work that Planned Parenthood does, [and] around the idea of safe and legal abortion.”
Equally disappointing were the comments from Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), who called for the disbandment of Congress’s Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives, of which I am a member. Boxer called the panel a “witch hunt against Planned Parenthood,” though Planned Parenthood is mentioned nowhere in the House resolution calling for the panel’s formation.
It is true that many of my pro-life colleagues and I have offered tough critiques of Planned Parenthood. The House of Representatives additionally passed legislation that I authored earlier this year to defund Planned Parenthood for a period of one year and reallocate those dollars to the more than 13,500 community health centers nationwide. I stand by that effort.
Planned Parenthood’s destruction of more than 327,000 unborn children each year, all while receiving more than $500 million in annual federal funding, stirs within us a sense of righteous indignation that compels us to act, but pro-lifers also know that the violence of abortion can never be combatted with more violence.
We know that every life has meaning and purpose in the eyes of our creator and is worthy of respect, so violence of any kind is an affront to our mission. Instead, we have sought to present the facts – for example, that the United States is one of only seven nations to allow elective, late-term abortions, or that premature infants are now being saved as early as 22 weeks into fetal development – and to speak the truth about abortion with grace and empathy for the women and unborn children who are victimized by this procedure.
From my years as a registered nurse, to my time in Congress, I have seen the pro-life movement from all sides. I know this effort is an act of love for the “least of these” – a movement born out of care for the vulnerable and the voiceless. Our message is stronger than the indefensible actions of one man and it must not change as a result of this callous, counterfeit ‘pro-life’ atrocity.
As we grieve the loss of innocent life from Friday’s attack and condemn this violence in the strongest terms possible, we in the pro-life community must also remain resolute in our convictions; knowing that our stance is morally just and scientifically sound. We must reject attempts to politicize a horrific tragedy and we must continue this effort as though lives depend on our success – because they do.
The panel will probe the revelations from multiple videos by The Center for Medical Progress featuring several top-level Planned Parenthood executives discussing the organization’s secretive practices around aborted fetal parts harvesting. The video includes comments from Deborah VanDerhei, the National Director of the organization’s Consortium of Abortion Providers, describing the harvesting of fetal body parts as “donation for remuneration.”
The expose’ videos catching Planned Parenthood officials selling the body parts of aborted babies have shocked the nation. Here is a list of all eleven:
- In the first video: Dr. Deborah Nucatola of Planned Parenthood commented on baby-crushing: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”
- In the second video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Mary Gatter joked, “I want a Lamborghini” as she negotiated the best price for baby parts.
- In the third video: Holly O’Donnell, a former Stem Express employee who worked inside a Planned Parenthood clinic, detailed first-hand the unspeakable atrocities and how she fainted in horror over handling baby legs.
- In the fourth video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Savita Ginde stated, “We don’t want to do just a flat-fee (per baby) of like, $200. A per-item thing works a little better, just because we can see how much we can get out of it.” She also laughed while looking at a plate of fetal kidneys that were “good to go.”
- In the fifth video: Melissa Farrell of Planned Parenthood-Gulf Coast in Houston boasted of Planned Parenthood’s skill in obtaining “intact fetal cadavers” and how her “research” department “contributes so much to the bottom line of our organization here, you know we’re one of the largest affiliates, our Research Department is the largest in the United States.”
- In the sixth video: Holly O’Donnell described technicians taking fetal parts without patient consent: “There were times when they would just take what they wanted. And these mothers don’t know. And there’s no way they would know.”
- In the seventh and perhaps most disturbing video: Holly O’Donnell described the harvesting, or “procurement,” of organs from a nearly intact late-term fetus aborted at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s Alameda clinic in San Jose, CA. “‘You want to see something kind of cool,’” O’Donnell says her supervisor asked her. “And she just taps the heart, and it starts beating. And I’m sitting here and I’m looking at this fetus, and its heart is beating, and I don’t know what to think.”
- In the eighth video: StemExpress CEO Cate Dyer admits Planned Parenthood sells “a lot of” fully intact aborted babies.
- The ninth video: catches a Planned Parenthood medical director discussing how the abortion company sells fully intact aborted babies — including one who “just fell out” of the womb.
- The 10th video: catches the nation’s biggest abortion business selling specific body parts — including the heart, eyes and “gonads” of unborn babies.The video also shows the shocking ways in which Planned Parenthood officials admit that they are breaking federal law by selling aborted baby body parts for profit.
- Unreleased Videos: Unreleased videos from CMP show Deb Vanderhei of Planned Parenthood caught on tape talking about how Planned Parenthood abortion business affiliates may “want to increase revenue [from selling baby parts] but we can’t stop them…” Another video has a woman talking about the “financial incentives” of selling aborted baby body parts.
- The 11th video: catches a texas Planned Parenthood abortionist planning to sell the intact heads of aborted babies for research. Amna Dermish is caught on tape describing an illegal partial-birth abortion procedure to terminate living, late-term unborn babies which she hopes will yield intact fetal heads for brain harvesting.
The full, unedited videos have confirmed that revelations that some aborted baby remains sold by Planned Parenthood go to biotech companies for the purpose of creating “humanized” mice. Meanwhile, Planned Parenthood has been exposed as having sold body parts from aborted babies for as much as 15 years.
The federal law that technically prohibits the sale of aborted babies and their body parts was written by a pro-abortion Congressman decades ago and essentially spells out a process by which sellers of aborted baby body parts can meet certain criteria that allows the sales to be legal. That’s why a Colorado congressman has introduced legislation to totally ban the sales of aborted baby body parts.