During a press conference yesterday, Speaker Paul Ryan called on the Senate to pass a House-approved reconciliation bill that would de-fund the Planned Parenthood abortion business in the wake of the scandal showing it selling aborted baby body parts.
Ryan called the reconciliation bill, which could pass in the Senate with only 50 votes rather than going through the filibuster process, the best chance of getting a bill to pro-abortion President Barack Obama’s desk.
“I don’t think Planned Parenthood should get one red cent from the taxpayer. That’s been my position for a long time, even before I saw these gruesome vidoes. That’s point number one,” the Speaker said.
“Point number two — we also have a reconciliation process under way, and we have defunded Planned Parenthood through the reconciliation process, which is our best chance and opportunity of actually getting a bill on the president’s desk,” Ryan said. “So we are moving on Planned Parenthood on multiple fronts, not to mention the fact that we have a select committee through the commerce committee to look at these issues.”
The House passed the reconciliation bill to de-fund Planned Parenthood at the end of October and now the bill is headed to the Senate.
Asked at his first weekly news conference as speaker if the omnibus could include a provision to defund the organization and if he would commit to not allowing the government to shut down, Ryan said he wouldn’t “predetermine the outcome of negotiations that have not taken place yet.”
But he hinted that he doesn’t think Planned Parenthood defunding could pass through Congress via the appropriations process.
While the House could pass an appropriations bill defunding Planned Parenthood with only Republican support, the Senate could not. The Senate would need at least six Democrats to help them approve a bill with a 60-vote, filibuster-proof majority. However, the reconciliation process allows the Senate to bypass filibuster rules and pass a bill with a simple-majority vote.
Ryan has been a strong pro-life advocate during his time in Congress and holds a 100% pro-life voting record. Most recently, Congressman Ryan voted for the House measure that would de-fund Planned Parenthood and the companion bill to ensure the continuing resolution would de-fund Planned Parenthood. He voted a third time this past week to de-fund Planned Parenthood via the reconciliation bill.
The expose’ videos catching Planned Parenthood officials selling the body parts of aborted babies have shocked the nation. Here is a list of the eleven videos:
- In the first video: Dr. Deborah Nucatola of Planned Parenthood commented on baby-crushing: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”
- In the second video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Mary Gatter joked, “I want a Lamborghini” as she negotiated the best price for baby parts.
- In the third video: Holly O’Donnell, a former Stem Express employee who worked inside a Planned Parenthood clinic, detailed first-hand the unspeakable atrocities and how she fainted in horror over handling baby legs.
- In the fourth video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Savita Ginde stated, “We don’t want to do just a flat-fee (per baby) of like, $200. A per-item thing works a little better, just because we can see how much we can get out of it.” She also laughed while looking at a plate of fetal kidneys that were “good to go.”
- In the fifth video: Melissa Farrell of Planned Parenthood-Gulf Coast in Houston boasted of Planned Parenthood’s skill in obtaining “intact fetal cadavers” and how her “research” department “contributes so much to the bottom line of our organization here, you know we’re one of the largest affiliates, our Research Department is the largest in the United States.”
- In the sixth video: Holly O’Donnell described technicians taking fetal parts without patient consent: “There were times when they would just take what they wanted. And these mothers don’t know. And there’s no way they would know.”
- In the seventh and perhaps most disturbing video: Holly O’Donnell described the harvesting, or “procurement,” of organs from a nearly intact late-term fetus aborted at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s Alameda clinic in San Jose, CA. “‘You want to see something kind of cool,’” O’Donnell says her supervisor asked her. “And she just taps the heart, and it starts beating. And I’m sitting here and I’m looking at this fetus, and its heart is beating, and I don’t know what to think.”
- In the eighth video: StemExpress CEO Cate Dyer admits Planned Parenthood sells “a lot of” fully intact aborted babies.
- The ninth video: catches a Planned Parenthood medical director discussing how the abortion company sells fully intact aborted babies — including one who “just fell out” of the womb.
- The 10th video: catches the nation’s biggest abortion business selling specific body parts — including the heart, eyes and “gonads” of unborn babies.The video also shows the shocking ways in which Planned Parenthood officials admit that they are breaking federal law by selling aborted baby body parts for profit.
- The 11th video: shows the abortion doctor for Planned Parenthood in Austin, Texas, Amna Dermish, describing a partial-birth abortion procedure to terminate living, late-term unborn babies which she hopes will yield intact fetal heads for brain harvesting.
- Unreleased Videos: Unreleased videos from CMP show Deb Vanderhei of Planned Parenthood caught on tape talking about how Planned Parenthood abortion business affiliates may “want to increase revenue [from selling baby parts] but we can’t stop them…” Another video has a woman talking about the “financial incentives” of selling aborted baby body parts.