Doctors Advised Mom to “Remove” Her “Dead” Unborn Baby, He’s Born Healthy

National   |   Sarah Zagorski   |   May 29, 2015   |   12:14PM   |   Washington, DC

Understandably, medical professionals don’t like it when they are wrong about a diagnosis, especially when it relates to a woman’s pregnancy. This is because in the past doctors and hospitals have been sued for giving incorrect information to women about their unborn babies.

For example, in 2013, a mother in England filed suit against a hospital where doctors told her she should have an abortion of her supposedly “brain dead” unborn baby. She followed their advice and took an abortion drug but her baby was still born perfectly healthy without any brain damage.

In a story published on a her website, a Jewish woman named Hadassah Sabo Milner explains how she almost lost her baby after doctors told her that her child was no longer viable. When Milner first discovered that she was pregnant, she was cautiously excited because she had already suffered two miscarriages.

She explained, “I was in contact with my doctor early on, as I didn’t want to lose this pregnancy too. The minute a woman learns she is pregnant a space is made in her heart for this child. She starts dreaming about the child she carries within her. It’s instinctive. And I am no different. I took progesterone hormone supplements (those of you who have had to take them, you know that I don’t mean pills to swallow) in order to just boost my body’s ability to handle the pregnancy. I didn’t pick up my other kids, although the youngest was already 3 and didn’t really need picking up that much. I did everything I was told to do to ensure this baby stuck.”

Unfortunately, when Milner was two-months-pregnant she started feeling immense pain and began bleeding. She decided to go to the hospital because she was concerned something was wrong with her baby and that she was having another miscarriage. Upon arrival, doctors suspected that Milner had an ectopic pregnancy, which occurs when an embryo implants outside the uterus. However, eventually doctors ruled that out and began looking for her child’s heartbeat.

Milner said, “They felt that an in depth ultrasound was needed to check if the baby was still viable. The ultrasound technician declared her findings – there was a fetal sac, but no heartbeat was visible, and at this stage of the pregnancy it should be. Her conclusion – the baby was not viable. My ob/gyn was paged.”

Immediately, the Ob-Gyn wanted to perform a D&C because she believed the baby was gone and that Milner’s health could be in jeopardy. Thankfully, Milner refused because she wanted to give it more time and speak with her Rabbi about the situation. Her doctor was very reluctant to wait but granted her request and performed another ultrasound the next day.

Here’s more:

I knew deep in my bones that I had not lost this baby. But medical science didn’t seem to agree with me. The technician called us in – when she saw us she did a double take. She was the same tech as the day before and the look on her face was that we were wasting her time and resources.

I lay on the table as she prepared all of the equipment. At that moment I gave it all up to God. I really felt that I communicated with Him, lying there on that cold ultrasound table. I put it all in His hands and told myself that I would trust that whatever would be, would be the right thing. I had a tremendous sense of peace come over me.

Meanwhile the waves of resentment were emanating from the tech. She didn’t want to be there. She made that damn obvious. She consulted with her superior, who probably told her she had no choice in the matter, as she started the scan.



I was too frightened to look at the screen, so I chose to look at her face instead. I had a profile view. I was perplexed to see a tear run down her cheek two minutes into the scan. She picked up the phone, murmured something into it, and continued to scan. Within 30 seconds there was a doctor in the room, having a hushed conversation in French with the tech. The doc took over the scanning. There was a look of blatant shock on both their faces, and at this point I got really very scared.

I finally had enough, asked them to stop conversing in French whispers around me, and tell me in plain English what the heck was going on.

They explained. Where yesterday there had been an empty fetal sac, today there was a “normal for two months” fetal sac and a heartbeat. A strong heartbeat. They showed me on the screen where the heart was beating. They said that it was absolutely impossible that this could have changed in 24 hours. Impossible. But there it was, in front of their very eyes. They were both very moved, and a little disturbed.

Although the remainder of Milner’s pregnancy was very difficult, she delivered a healthy baby boy at 37-weeks who weighed 5lbs 12ozs. After her son was born, her doctor told her that from now on she would listen to women when they want to wait a few days before having a D&C.