In Michigan, 24-year-old Kimberly Pappas gave birth in a bathroom at her place of employment and then stuffed her baby into a plastic bag. After the discovery, the mother and baby were sent to the hospital but the child was pronounced dead on arrival. Initially, Pappas told first responders that she had miscarried.
According to Detroit News, the Wayne County medical examiner found that the newborn died of asphyxiation, and his death was ruled as a homicide because he lived for 20 to 30 minutes before his death. Detective Sgt. Kevin Crittenden said, “An employee was in the room with her for a short time and said she didn’t notice anything unusual.” Apparently Pappas was fully aware that she was expecting and felt the baby moving before she gave birth.
Now a 17-District Court judge has decided that Pappas will not receive bail and a Wayne County Prosecutor has charged her with felony murder, premeditated murder and first-degree child abuse. Pappas’ attorneys, Raymond Cassar and Patrick Ogurek, argued that their client is presumed innocent and it would be in her best interest to receive bail.
Ogurek said. “She has never been in trouble before, turned herself in, doesn’t have a driver’s license and lives with her parents, who are in the front row. There is no reason to be concerned that she won’t show up. We want her to continue to get mental health treatment, which she’s not going to get in the county jail. Let her stay with family and get the treatment she needs.”
Like this pro-life news article? Please support LifeNews during our current fundraising campaign with a donation!
Cassar added, “I believe there are serious mental health issues with our client. I don’t know what her intent was … I think she was very concerned about what she was going to do with her life. The best place for her is at her home where is surrounded by the people who love her.”
However, the judge disagreed. One report from the incident said, “After the birth, it is further alleged that she sealed the infant in a plastic bag and then placed it in a tote bag near her desk. An employee alerted the Redford Fire Department, who came to the scene and attempted resuscitation efforts on the child. The child was immediately taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead at 11:55 a.m.”
Sergeant Crittenden called the situation “a tragedy all the way around” and highlighted the importance of Safe Haven laws, which allow individuals to give up unwanted infants safely, legally and anonymously. He concluded, “This has been a tragedy for everybody involved; the baby, baby’s family and the rescue people.”