Wife Ignores Pressure to Take Comatose Husband Off Life Support, He Recovers Weeks Later

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Apr 7, 2015   |   4:51PM   |   Washington, DC

Four years after a horrific motorcycle accident caused a doctor to tell Danielle Davis to take her husband off life support, their story is now reaching millions. It’s a story of how not to give up on a loved one in a coma, despite pressure from medical professionals or others to call it quits.

On July 11, 2011, then 22-year-old Matthew was on his way to work when he struck a parked car while merging onto a highway. Matt’s diagnosis wasn’t good and his list of injuries was long. He had suffered multiple fractures of the femur, multiple jaw fractures, a fractured rib, lacerated liver, fractured collar bone, skull fracture, a brain injury and he was in a coma.

Matt’s doctors believed he only had a 10 percent chance to pull through and regain consciousness and only a five percent chance to fully recover. One doctor even suggested to Danielle that she consider taking him off life support just a week after the accident.


“This was a difficult choice for me,” Danielle described the situation via the couple’s blog. “Being his wife I knew that he did not want to remain a vegetable and here the doctors were telling me that’s exactly what will happen.”

Multiple surgeries and treatments later, Danielle’s refusal to give up on her husband bared fruit. Matthew’s eyes opened and he eventually started tracking people in his room. It was then that Danielle brought her husband home to continue caring for him.



And that’s when everything changed. Davis regained movement in his arms and legs and even awoke from the coma once he was out of the hospital. However, he couldn’t remember the previous three years of his life, including his own wedding.

Here’s more on this amazing story:

“He literally drew a graph on the board, and said you know, ’90 percent of people with this injury never regain consciousness,'” Danielle said. “Finally, the doctor said, ‘You know, if this were me, I’d want my family to pull the plug.”

Matthew now has his wife to thank.

“You fought for me so hard and, if you really think about it, that’s the reason that I’m here today,” he said.

Shrugging off the doctor’s advice, Danielle took Matthew home to care for him, and after three months he awoke from his coma, but it soon became apparent he had lost all memory of his wife.

“It was kinda like this: ‘That’s your wife.’ I was like, ‘yeah,'” Matthew said.

While insurance pays for his rehabilitation, Danielle said Matthew needs additional, intensive long-term therapy in order to make more advances. She started a GoFundMe page to help with those out-of-pocket costs.

The Davis’ say their faith has also been important.

“The doctors, they know what they’re talking about, and it’s good counsel, but it doesn’t mean that they’re right,” Danielle said. “If you believe in God, then believe in God, take what you know to be true.”

“He put her in my life, so God knows what he’s doing,” Matthew added.

As of Tuesday morning, more than $15,000 had been raised through their GoFundMe page. Once Matthew is fully mobile, the Davis’ said they want to move into a house in Georgia and start raising children. They also want to have another wedding to replace the one Matthew forgot.