Doctors Said She Would Die So Lillie’s Parents Turned Off Life Support, Then a Miracle Happened

National   |   Sarah Zagorski   |   Mar 31, 2015   |   4:27PM   |   London, England

In London, Sky Disson and Peter Klawinska found their daughter, Lillie, in her crib, blue and unresponsive.

Sky said, “There was no heartbeat, nothing at all. I watched her turn blue in front of my eyes. I assumed my baby had died.”

The couple immediately called emergency services and administered CPR on Lillie. Sky said it felt like a nightmare that she was going to wake up from but it was real. According to the Inquisitr, later doctors discovered that Lille was without oxygen and a heartbeat for 24-minutes.

Peter said, “My world came crashing down in an instant. I just desperately tried to help her. I was breathing into her but nothing was happening.” Additionally, Lillie’s scans indicated that she suffered brain damage and would have to be placed on life-support.

Unfortunately, ten days later Lille’s condition still hadn’t improved and Sky and Peter had to decide if they were going to take her off life support.



Sky said, “The doctors told us this was how she was going to be for the rest of her life. They suggested it was best to turn off the life support but gave us time to make our decision. I was determined that when the doctors walked in I was going to say no. But then we decided it was fair to let Lillie make her own mind up. The last thing we wanted to do was prolong her suffering.”

She added, “We were advised to say goodbye so I took prints of her feet and hands. It was very emotional — it felt like I was saying my last goodbye. When they asked me if I wanted to hold her I just couldn’t do it. I just wasn’t strong enough.”

However, after doctors removed Lille’s life support something miraculous happened— she started breathing on her own. Sky said, “It was an incredible moment. She took her first breath. She wasn’t struggling at all and it was an amazing feeling. When she cried for the first time it sounded like a laugh to me.”

Initially, Lillie’s doctors were positive about her improvement but eventually told Sky and Peter it was still likely she would still die.

Sky said, “They were really pleased for us but kept saying she could go downhill in the next few minutes or days. So every time she breathed I was on tenterhooks wondering if I was witnessing her last breath. Me and Peter were going crazy watching the machines which showed her oxygen and breathing levels. The nurses decided to turn off the computer display in her room to stop us worrying.”


Then doctors told the couple that Lillie should me moved to hospice care because she was still in need of end-of-life care. But remarkably, Lillie continued to improve and after a week she went home.

Now Lillie is 14-months-old and her health is still getting better. She does have some developmental delays and may never be able to walk, but her parents are just happy she’s alive. Sky concluded, “Even though we know she may struggle to learn to walk I’m focusing on being positive. She wanted to breathe, to live, that was her decision to carry on fighting and be strong. We’re hoping that can minimize the future effects of the brain damage and help her develop. We have to do everything we can to help her reach her full potential.”