Comatose Woman Heard Doctors Tell Her Husband to Take Away Her Life Support

International   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Mar 18, 2015   |   5:07PM   |   Washington, DC

In March 2014, Jenny Bone collapsed and went to the hospital after suffering from tingling in her legs. Her general practitioner wrote the hospital a letter that said Jenny might have Gullain-Barre syndrome.

According to the Mayo Clinic, Guillain-Barre syndrome is a rare disorder in which your body’s immune system attacks your nerves. Jenny and her husband, John, claim the hospital never acted upon the letter; instead, Bone was told she was just having chest pain.

The Daily Mail reports that just a few hours later Jenny went into cardiac arrest and was given a tracheotomy to help her breathe. She was also placed in a light medically induced coma and put on a respirator in an intensive care unit. Then doctors told John that his wife could have extensive brain damage and suggested taking her off life support.

Click here to sign up for daily pro-life news alerts from

However, John denied their request because he thought it was too soon. He said, “He [the doctor] said they didn’t know how long she was deprived of oxygen and there could be a range of deficits and it could be time to turn the machine off. I said it was far too early.” John added, “He said, ‘We have got to be realistic about what might happen,’ but again I said it was too early.”

Unbelievably, Jenny heard the entire conversation even though she was supposed to be unconscious. Jenny said, “I was aware of conversations around me. The most frequent one was being turned in the bed. A familiar “ready, steady, turn” would come from the nurses. The most alarming was between a doctor and my husband inquiring as to my wishes surrounding being kept alive on a ventilator and that they were unsure whether my mental ability had been impaired due to lack of oxygen while they were attempting to restart my heart.”

She continued, “There was an agreement that I should continue to be kept on the ventilator to give a chance for an MRI scan to be done to see if I had any brain function. I was not even responding to a basic reflex test, which is why the doctor thought I was not going to have a chance of recovery. I am very pleased my husband gave me that extra time.”


Now, just one year later, Jenny is back at work and taking care of her five-year-old son. She’s even completed a 5k charity run with the help of a walking stick.

The couple has made a formal complaint to the hospital where she was treated because they claim they ignored her general practitioners letter. A hospital spokesperson said, “We are glad that Mrs. Bone is recovering from her illness. However, we are sorry she did not have a positive patient experience. We are investigating the concerns raised.”