A church in Lansing, Michigan has found an innovative method for temporarily closing down a local abortion clinic.
The Church of the Resurrection, a Catholic Church, has leased a building housing the Womancare abortion clinic, the only freestanding abortion facility remaining in Michigan’s state capital. The church will house offices in the building at the 1600 block of Grand River Avenue and a pro-life group will use the rest of the location for its office space.
The church has given the abortion clinic two months to find another location and vacate the premises.
One of the pro-life people involved in kicking out the abortion clinic told LifeNews:
Fr. Steve Mattson, pastor of the Church of the Resurrection in Lansing, has finalized a plan to lease 4,100 square feet of the first floor of 1601 East Grand River effective October 1, 2014 for 33 months. This move will not temporarily, but rather immediately, shut down all business at the WomanCare abortion clinic at that location in Lansing. The owner of WomanCare abortion clinic, Theodore Roumell, has been given notice, and in a written statement, was told to vacate the premises by October 1. The abortionist is not being offered any time to “find another location,” but rather, is being given a professional courtesy to leave. The hope is that he will convert and retire from the abortion industry altogether. ”
Pro-life groups, who have been collaborating and praying and fasting for an end to abortion with 40 Days for Life campaigns, are being offered 1,500 square feet, the north suite of the building, to develop programs to affirm a comprehensive pro-life commitment to men and women in greatest need.
The Womancare abortion facility is run by 78-year-old abortion practitioner Theodore Roumell, who was forced to close down another abortion clinic he ran where a woman was forced to have an abortion.
Another clinic located in Lansing under the same name is the location where, in 1989, pro-lifers found the bodies of aborted babies in a dumpster adjacent to the clinic.