Mother Arrested After Giving Birth During Lunch Break, Abandoning Baby, Returning to Work

International   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jul 31, 2014   |   3:50PM   |   Washington, DC

A woman in Poland has been arrested after she left work for her lunch break, gave birth, abandoned her baby, and then returned to her office. Fortunately the baby was found alive.

Jolanta Czarnecka stands accused of attempted murder after leaving baby. During trial, the court heard it was ‘a miracle’ the baby survived after being left for two days. Czarnecka is now facing five years in jail if she is found guilty.

Abandoned Newborn Survives 2 Days In Field After Mum Gives Birth On LunchbreakWhat do you think possess mothers to leave their infants like this?

From the story:

A Polish woman has been accused of attempted murder after she gave birth in a field during her lunch break before leaving the baby and returning to work.

A court in the Polish city of Ilawa heard it was ‘a miracle’ the baby survived after being left in the field for two days as temperatures rose to over 30C.

The child’s mother Jolanta Czarnecka, 30, said she had not wanted to be pregnant and had kept it secret by wearing loose fitting dresses and pretending she had put on weight.

After returning to work in the afternoon, her boss noticed blood on her clothing and refused to accept her insistence that she was fine, Central European News has reported.

He took her to hospital where doctors discovered she had given birth. Czarnecka however allegedly lied by claiming she had the baby by accident and it had fallen into a toilet.

The court was told detectives searched the toilet however and no traces of the baby were found. Detectives could also find no trace of the woman having given birth. She eventually admitted giving birth in the field after subsequent questioning.

The court heard the baby had been abandoned for two days before it was found dehydrated and covered in insects.

Doctor Barbara Chomik at the hospital in the northern city of Elblag where the baby was taken after it was discovered said: ‘The girl was in serious condition. 

‘She had been left alone naked and weighed less than a kilogram in part because she was so severely dehydrated. It is a miracle that she survived under those conditions for so long. It is simply a miracle.’