Unborn Baby Dies Two Days After Road Rage Causes Accident

State   |   Laura Beth Kirsop   |   Jul 10, 2014   |   9:24AM   |   Dayton, OH

The following story was published just yesterday in the Dayton Daily News regarding the death of an unborn baby two days following a road-rage incident. The headline, “Unborn child dies 2 days after road-rage incident,” caught my attention with those two simple words: “unborn child.”

It’s rare that a mainstream media outlet would recognize that an unborn child is just that–a child. I grieve for the life of this innocent little one and I grieve for the family that lost their baby. I am grateful, even in the midst of this tragedy, that the media has recognized the significance of this little one’s life and death–even before birth.

ohio12DAYTON — One of two pregnant women injured in a road rage crash Sunday evening has lost her baby.

The unborn baby died at 8:40 a.m. today at Miami Valley Hospital, officials said.

Montgomery County Coroner Ken Betz confirmed the coroner’s office received the body for an autopsy. He said the coroner’s office only performs autopsies on unborn babies when the trauma was external to the pregnancy. Because the mother was involved in an auto accident that is part of a criminal investigation, the coroner’s office will perform the autopsy, he said.

The mother, Mariah Dorsey, 22, of Trotwood, is believed to have been inside a Dodge Charger with another pregnant woman in an apparent road rage incident.

The driver of a four-door blue Mercury apparently started striking the Charger with a tire iron. The driver of the Charger took off, and the Mercury followed, police said.

Police believe the occupants of the Charger and Mercury know each other.

A Dayton police officer searching the area for the two vehicles involved in a road rage incident came upon the crash around 5 p.m. at the intersection of West Grand and Forest avenues, Dayton police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said.

Click here to sign up for daily pro-life news alerts from LifeNews.com

The driver of the blue truck, who police said was not involved in the road rage incident, was trapped for about 20 minutes and had to be extricated through mechanical means by the Dayton Fire Department. Ronald Lewis, 59, and Anthony Ferguson, 60, were both occupants in the truck, according to reports. Police said Tuesday afternoon that Lewis was in critical condition. Ferguson was no longer listed as a patient at the hospital.

The name of the second pregnant woman injured in the crash has not been released.

To view the video coverage of the story click here.