Mother Arrested After Abandoning Her Baby on NYC Subway Platform

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jul 8, 2014   |   1:31PM   |   New York, NY

A mother has been arrested in New York City after abandoning her newborn baby on a subway platform.

The incident occurred just after noon Monday at the Columbus Circle subway station.

nycplatformPolice said a woman, believed to be in her 20s, was on a northbound No. 1 train with a baby in a stroller. When the train arrived at the station, the woman pushed the stroller onto the platform but did not get off the train, police said. The doors closed, and the train left the station.

The baby girl, who police said is 6 months to 7 months old, was taken to Mount Sinai-Roosevelt Hospital for evaluation.

The baby was found alone on the platform by a 33-year-old woman, who waited for about 20 minutes with the child to see if anyone would return for her. But no one ever did. Police said there were no apparent signs of trauma. The baby had a bandage on her hand and a slight rash, but was otherwise unhurt, sources said.

Police released a photo of the girl Monday night holding her bottle and sitting in the stroller in which she was found. They appealed to anyone with information to come forward. Now, as AP reports, that has happened.

From the report:

A woman accused of abandoning her baby at a Manhattan subway station was arrested Tuesday after telling detectives she was homeless and felt she could no longer take care of the little girl, a police department spokesman said.

Click here to sign up for daily pro-life news alerts from

Authorities found Frankea Dabbs, 20, just after midnight Tuesday near Central Park, around 72nd Street and Broadway. They arrested her late Tuesday morning on charges of child abandonment and acting in a manner injurious to a child. It was not immediately known who her attorney would be.

The mother told detectives in a preliminary interview that she is from North Carolina and came to New York on July 2. She said the baby’s father died recently in California.

“She felt she couldn’t take care of the baby and thought she was leaving her in a safe public space,” said Stephen Davis, spokesman for the New York Police Department.