A few weeks ago, I warned you about a threat to pro-lifers’ free speech in New Hampshire: the abortion clinic buffer zone bill, SB 319.
The bill would prevent protesters coming within 25-feet of NH abortion clinics. The bill, introduced and passed in the Senate, had gone to the House, where it had been slightly changed and subsequently sent back to the Senate for a vote (because of the changes). I asked you to write to the members of the NH Senate, urging them to not violate free speech in such an egregious way.
I trust that many of you sent emails but, unfortunately, the bill passed the Senate again, by a vote of 13-10. (This is actually down from the Senate’s original vote of 15-9 so your emails did do some good!) It is now on its way to the governor’s desk where Gov. Maggie Hassan is expected to sign it into law.
Abortion rights groups are crowing over this victory. “We know that buffer zones aid law enforcement and reduce violence,” commented Feminist Majority Foundation President Eleanor Smeal. “These laws are instrumental in protecting patients, doctors, and healthcare workers from harassment and intimidation and allow women to safely access critical reproductive health services,” she continued.
She keeps using the word “violence” in different variations…I don’t think that word means what she thinks it does. (Princess Bride fans anyone?) The only violence I have been hearing about has been committed by abortion rights advocates (keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list):
- In 2010, an abortion rights advocate tried to run down a pro-lifer with his car.
- In 2011, abortion rights advocates slashed pro-life interns’ car tires.
- No one will ever forget the incidents revolving the Texas bill prohibiting abortions after 20-weeks. Abortions rights supporters took on a total mob mentality with pro-lifers literally having to hide in congressional offices to avoid assault.
- In October last year, pro-life activist Bryan Kemper went to Australia for a March for Life. He and other pro-lifers were violently assaulted by abortion rights supporters.
- Earlier this month, a Planned Parenthood abortionist threatened to sock a grandfatherly old man in the [expletive] face.
- Also this month, a pro-life high school student had his nose broken while in his neighborhood park handing out pro-life postcards.
- Oh, right: 2,900 American citizens were killed yesterday by abortion rights advocates. No link for that one because the media doesn’t find it “newsworthy.”
To be fair: there have been extremists in the pro-life movement (like in any human rights movement when so much is at stake). But, they have been weeded out and overwhelmed by loving, gracious, peaceful pro-lifers. Violence is never encouraged as it is the antithesis of all we stand for as pro-lifers. This law is nothing more than shameless attempt to silence critics of abortion, disguised as a “safety measure.”
Lauren Muzyka of Sidewalk Advocates for Life said this of the NH soon-to-be law: “These buffer zones are nothing less than viewpoint discrimination, stifling free speech and preventing peaceful outreach to inform women and men of their other options besides abortion. Criminal and tort law already protect abortion center clients from being harmed by any individual outside the facility. The greater concern here is that abortion is being enshrined as some sort of supra-right that can trample on the First Amendment rights of peaceful citizens like you and me who simply want to offer help to women-in-crisis.”
ACTION: Please call the Governor’s office at (603)271-2121. Tell the staffer you want to leave a comment for the governor. Ask Gov. Hassan to veto SB 319 as it is unnecessary and a serious encroachment of freedom of speech. I just did and it took me less than 90 seconds. Even if we cannot change her mind, we will let our voice be heard.
She says she welcomes comments on her website. Let’s take her at her word.