Army Soldier Suffocates Pregnant Wife to Death, Also Charged With Killing Unborn Child

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Mar 24, 2014   |   7:03PM   |   Washington, DC

Pvt. Isaac Aguigui, 22, has confessed to killing his seven-months pregnant wife Sgt. Deirdre Aguigui, 24, who he allegedly murdered in 2011.

Aguigui reportedly convinced his wife to wear handcuffs during sex and then proceeded to suffocate her to death with a plastic bag.
Prosecutors say he wanted to be free of his marriage and coveted her $500,000 life insurance policy, which he allegedly wanted to use to fund a paramilitary militia group.

aguiguiAguigui is already facing the death penalty in the murder as well as killing his unborn child.

The London Daily Mail has more on this terrible story:

Capt. Janae Lapir, an Army prosecutor, said in her opening statement that Isaac Aguigui wanted to be free from a rocky marriage and coveted the $500,000 in life insurance and benefit payments he received from the Army after his wife was found dead in their apartment on the southeast Georgia Army post.

She called him ‘a schemer’ who tricked his wife into letting him handcuff her.

‘Sgt. Aguigui never had a chance to fight back because she never saw it coming,’ Lapir said.

Civilian prosecutors say Aguigui used the insurance money to buy guns and bomb components for an anti-government militia group, F.E.A.R. (short for Forever Enduring Always Ready), which he started by recruiting other disgruntled soldiers.

F.E.A.R members had stockpiled assault weapons and bomb components and discussed plotting attacks on a crowded landmark in nearby Savannah, poisoning the apple crop in Washington State and even assassinating President Barack Obama.

Last year, a Georgia state medical examiner reviewed the case and gave a second opinion, saying she must have been choked or suffocated because every other potential cause could be ruled out.

He noted marks on her wrists indicated she struggled violently as her hands were cuffed behind her back.

‘She had kicked him out of the house for reasons of infidelity and drug use,’ said Chief Warrant Officer Justin Kapinus, an Army criminal investigator, said of the pair last year. ‘It was very evident they had a rough marriage.’

Aguigui called 911 on the evening of July 17, 2011, saying he found his wife unconscious and unresponsive on the couch, with chunks of a potato she’d eaten for dinner in her mouth, Kapinus said.

Kapinus testified in a preliminary hearing that initial results of an autopsy on Deirdre Aguigui were inconclusive. A second look by a medical examiner for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation concluded someone killed the woman by choking her or otherwise blocking her airway, Kapinus said.