Grand Jury Indicts Parents Who Raped 11-Year-Old Daughter, Took Her for Abortion

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Mar 14, 2014   |   1:22PM   |   Charleston, WV

A grand jury has indicted parents of an 11-year-old girl in West Virginia who were arrested after arranging for an abortion following a case of pregnancy after incest. West Virginia State Police say they consented to the abortion and the abortion clinic in question didn’t report the abortion to authorities.

Michael and Amanda Adkins were arrested on charges of child neglect causing the risk of injury. While some licensed medical professionals were involved in getting information to authorities, WSAZ-TV indicates the abortion clinic in Charleston that did an abortion did not report the clear case of statadkinsutory rape.

On Wednesday, the grand jury added charges of incest, sexual assault and witness intimidation to the case. The indictment charges Michael Joe Adkins with incest, first-degree sexual assault and sexual abuse by a parent for alleged intercourse with his daughter, which impregnated the girl as the sexual activity continued after she became 12. He and the girl’s stepmother, Amanda Rea Adkins, also face counts of child neglect creating risk of injury and conspiracy as part of an abortion and subsequent procedure aimed at covering up the alleged incest.

The sexual assaults on the girl took place between October 2010 and February 2011 and then took the girl for an abortion after the incest impregnated her on March 1. They then subsequently got her a D&C on March 16.

A statewide newspaper provides additional details from its interview with West Virginia State Police Cpl. M. Moore:

The Ona couple, then 30, were indicted last spring with single counts of child neglect. This month’s indictment, unsealed Wednesday, added the allegations against Michael Adkins as well as counts of obstruction and witness intimidation against Amanda Adkins. It states she provided police false information and influenced her stepdaughter to keep quiet about the alleged abuse.

Moore credited recent disclosures by the victim with helping prosecutors secure the stronger indictment. She praised the child’s recovery thus far, but described the road ahead as long. She referred to the March 2011 abortion as forced upon the child as she referred to it and other acts she endured at ages 11 and 12 as “injustices, indignities and crimes.”

“This is very disturbing,” Moore said. “It’s a traumatic incident, especially for a 12-year-old child that was forced into it and threats were made not to tell. It’s very sad. It’s very disheartening that a 12-year-old — I just don’t know how she would be able to cope with that. As an adult, I don’t think I could. It would be a heavy decision to make.”



Neither defendant entered a plea at Wednesday’s arraignment. The case moves forward with both maintaining their innocence.
Cabell Circuit Judge Alfred Ferguson released both defendants on a $20,000 bond, although he indicated a willingness to consider increasing the amount due to the new charges. He scheduled their next appearance for April 21. Both defense attorneys declined comment afterward.

The pro-life movement has repeatedly documented how abortion facilities fail to report cases of statutory rape and predators using abortions to cover up their crimes.