Life Legal Defense Foundation has provided the State of Alabama with evidence of illegal abortion activity at the unlicensed New Woman All Women abortion clinic in Birmingham.
The state seeks a permanent injunction against the illegal clinic, operator Diane Derzis, and abortionist Bruce Norman, whose deliberate violations, despite a March 2012 agreement with the Alabama Department of Public Health, provide grounds for forcible closure. Life Legal Defense Foundation’s amicus curiae (“friend of the court”) brief argues for the facility’s permanent closure in the filing made this week in the circuit court of Jefferson County, Alabama.
The evidence includes eyewitness testimony, photographs, and a telephone recording that corroborate the State’s allegations that Derzis, Norman, and the New Woman All Women abortion facility are operating illegally. Evidence provided to the court includes the following materials, all documenting post-consent agreement activity:
- eyewitness testimony
- photograph of Derzis on property in violation of agreement
- photograph of one woman being transported away from clinic via ambulance
- photograph of another woman being transported away from clinic via ambulance
- abortion advertising by New Woman All Woman in violation of agreement
- recorded phone call with New Woman All Woman
- Alabama Department of Public Health letter verifying non-compliance
CLICK LIKE IF YOU’RE PRO-LIFE!
The amicus brief states the following:
- the clinic has not corrected any of a lengthy list of deficiencies that it was required to resolve
- neither the clinic operator nor the facility’s abortionist have a license to perform or provide abortions at the location
- the abortionist has continued to perform abortions at the unlicensed facility
- the previously listed actions violate the terms of the Consent Agreement signed by all parties
- the facility post-consent agreement advertisements violate the Alabama Deceptive Trade Practices Act
Dana Cody, Executive Director, Life Legal Defense Foundation stated, “The defendants have shown contempt for the Alabama Department of Public Health by advertising and continuing to provide abortions in direct violation of the terms of a signed agreement. This is the same type of conduct that abortionist Kermit Gosnell engaged in at his abortion clinic in Pennsylvania. Gosnell’s utter disregard for the law resulted in the tragic killing of women and children at his clinic, aptly dubbed a ‘house of horrors.’ No one wants Alabama to be responsible for enabling the next Gosnell.”