Gosnell Staffer Who Snipped Neck of Baby Struggling in Toilet Released on Probation

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   May 29, 2013   |   11:44AM   |   Philadelphia, PA

The abortion clinic staffer of convicted abortion practitioner Kermit Gosnell was sentenced today for her role in snipping the neck of a baby who was born alive and struggling in a toilet to stay alive.

Gosnell’s sister-in-law was sentenced in court yesterday for her role in the House of Horrors abortion clinic that eventually resulted in Gosnell’s conviction on multiple murder counts. Like other Gosnell staffers and family members, Elizabeth Hampton agreed to cooperate with prosecutors to testify against Gosnell in exchange for a significantly lighter sentence.

Today, Gosnell staffer Adrienne Moton was sentenced to time served, 28 months, plus three years probation.

Local reporters who have been covering the trial released more information today on the sentence and Moton’s commentary during sentencing, via Twitter. They indicate she showed remorse for snipping the baby’s neck and Moton said she was glad she was arrested in connection with the Gosnell case so she could get out of the abortion industry.






The gruesomeness of what happened at the clinic was not limited to Gosnell, but extended to his staff — some of whom were family members.

Moton was a medical assistant who told the court in March that she snipped the spines of at least 10 babies during unorthodox abortions. And she said Gosnell and another employee did the same sipping technique.

Moton, the first employee to testify, sobbed as she recalled taking a cellphone photograph of one baby left in her work area. She thought he could have survived, given his size and pinkish color. She had measured him at nearly 30 weeks.

“The aunt felt it was just best for her (the mother’s) future,” Moton testified.

Gosnell later joked that the baby was so big he could have walked to the bus stop, she said.

Jurors saw Moton’s photograph on a large screen in the courtroom, which took on a bizarre look Tuesday as she testified near a hospital bed with stirrups and other aging obstetric equipment. Denied the chance to bring jurors to the shuttered inner-city clinic, prosecutors are instead recreating a patient room in court.

Moton, 35, sobbed as she described her work at the clinic. Because of problems at home, she had moved in with Gosnell and his third wife during high school, and she went to work for him from 2005 to 2008. She earned about $10 an hour, off the books, to administer drugs, perform sonograms, help with abortions and dispose of fetal remains. Workers got $20 bonuses for second-term abortions on Saturdays, when a half-dozen were sometimes performed.

She once had to kill a baby delivered in a toilet, cutting its neck with scissors, she said. Asked if she knew that was wrong, she said, “At first I didn’t.”