Teen Dies From Abortion, Contracted Superbug From Abortion Drug

International   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Sep 28, 2012   |   1:51PM   |   London, England

A story is coming to light in the British media about a 19-year-old women who died from an abortion she had last year that cause her to contract a rare superbug virus that ultimately claimed her life.

Jessie-Maye Barlow, 19, decided to have an abortion when she learned she was pregnant just months after giving birth. However, she contracted the superbug streptococcus B during the abortion procedure and it caused ‘catastrophic damage’ to her heart that resulted in her death five weeks later and just five days before Christmas.

As the London Daily Mail reports:

The young mother had given birth to a baby girl in June and then found out in the autumn that she was pregnant again. She and her partner, Daniel Fountain, thought it was too soon to have another child and decided to have an abortion.

In November, Miss Barlow took medication designed to bring about an abortion at a specialist clinic in Richmond, south west London. After suffering bleeding and low mood, she attended an NHS walk-in centre in Ashford, Middlesex, on December 8, where staff referred her straight to the West Middlesex Hospital.

Doctors at West Middlesex Hospital diagnosed a case of superbug streptococcus B and that Miss Barlow had ‘retained products of conception’ meaning her body had not managed to pass everything associated with the pregnancy. Despite surgery and medication, her health continued to suffer over the following 10 days.

Then on the evening of December 20 her family called an ambulance after she emerged from a shower complaining of severe chest pain. She was rushed from her home in Staines, Surrey, to St Peter’s Hospital, in nearby Chertsey, where she died hours later.

Alison Hewitt, the assistant deputy coroner for Surrey, is holding an inquest. During it, she discovered the British Pregnancy Advisory Service, a UK-based abortion company, provided Barlow with the abortion drug. The Daily Mail reports that the abortion business “had not called her over the following days as they should have done” — followup that could have saved her life.



Dr Richard Lyus, of BPAS, admitted, “I think, yes, Jessie should have been contacted and they would have spoken to her and advised her to go to hospital.