Planned Parenthood handed out their media awards last week and the abortion business presented the 2012 Maggie Awards for Media Excellence in eight categories to journalists, bloggers, and political cartoonist Garry Trudeau “for their exceptional coverage” [read support] of abortion.
The awards luncheon was hosted by Joan Walsh, editor at large for Salon.
“This year, we’ve seen the continuation of serious legislative attacks on reproductive health care in states all across the country,” said PPFA president Cecile Richards. “We honor these journalists today for highlighting the devastating impact of these attacks and enhancing the public’s understanding of reproductive rights and health care issues.”
The abortion giant awarded the following:
- Commentary: Garry Trudeau, Doonesbury series March 12 – 17, 2012
- Daily/Weekly Print Reporting: Jordan Smith, The Austin Chronicle, “The Destruction of Texas Healthcare”
- General Interest Magazine Reporting: Sarah Blustain, Mother Jones, “In the Name of the Mother”
- Women’s Magazine: Jeannine Amber, ESSENCE, “Our Teens’ Secret Sex Lives”
- Online Reporting: Laura Bassett, Huffington Post, for her coverage of the recent attacks on women’s health, including the Catholic bishops’ influence on legislation and the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation defunding controversy
- TV/News Reporting: Diversity Films, Inc., Why Us? Left Behind and Dying
- Social Media: Deanna Zandt, Tumblr, “Planned Parenthood Saved Me”
- Community/Personal Blog: Denene Millner, MyBrownBaby.com, “Let’s Talk About Sex” series
The Trudeau award wasn’t surprising given his over-the-top criticism of pro-life laws allowing women a chance to see an ultrasound of their baby before an abortion and his attacks on pro-life presidential candidate Rick Santorum.