Woman Rushed to Hospital in Massachusetts After Botched Abortion

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jun 7, 2012   |   10:40AM   |   Haverhill, MA

A woman was rushed to a local hospital in Massachusetts last week after a botched abortion done by an abortion practitioner with a history of substandard medical care.

A pro-life activist recorded an ambulance at Merrimack Valley Women’s Health Services in Haverhill, Massachusetts, on June 1. There, abortion practitioner Marcus T. Gordon does abortions through the twentieth week of pregnancy.

The cell phone video, obtained by Operation Rescue, shows paramedics loading a patient on a gurney into an awaiting ambulance with emergency lights flashing. She was transported to a local hospital. Her current condition is unknown.

“This woman played the equivalent of Russian Roulette when she walked into that abortion clinic. Unfortunately, this time she pulled the bullet,” said Cheryl Sullenger, Senior Policy Advisor for Operation Rescue and Pro-Life Nation. “Operation Rescue has documented an increasing number of botched abortions in recent months, and we know the ones we find out about are only a small fraction of what really goes on at abortion clinics around the nation.”

Sullenger said Gordon has a history of disciplinary action. In 1988, Gordon was placed on eight months probation for practicing medicine without a license in the State of Illinois. Gordon later failed to report that discipline on his application for licensure in the State of Massachusetts in 1996.

Four Women in Attleboro, one of Gordon’s abortion clinics with ties to Merrimack Valley Women’s Health, was recently found by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to be in violation of laws concerning medical waste management, including failure to maintain medical waste record-keeping log and failure to maintain written contingency plan for spills and accidents.

“In spite of what abortion apologists say, abortion clinics are dangerous places for women. We have yet to find one that comports with all laws. Women are taking their lives into their hands when they walk through the abortion clinic door,” said Sullenger. “We urge women to instead seek help at local pro-life pregnancy care centers, which offer practical assistance to women facing crisis pregnancies.”

Operation Rescue plans to file complaints against Gordon for the botched abortion incident.

Previously, Massachusetts-based abortion practitioner Rapin Osathanondh received six months in prison after pleading guilty to the charge of manslaughter in relation to his killing 22-year-old Laura Smith in a failed abortion. Smith died in September 2007 at his Women’s Health Center abortion business after Osathanondh failed to provide proper medical care after the abortion went awry.

Osathanondh, who had faced a maximum of 20 years in prison, also received three years probation. The abortion “doctor” will not be able to practice or teach medicine, under the terms of the agreement. He surrendered his medical license and closed both of his abortion offices.



With Smith’s adoptive parents watching the proceedings, Osathanondh pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter following an agreement between Cape and Islands First Assistant District Attorney Brian Glenny and the abortion practitioner’s attorneys.

The plea followed several hours of negotiating back and forth between Glenny, who reportedly spoke with Smith’s parents during the exchanges. Defense attorneys Paul Cirel and Serina Barkley of Boston worked with Osathanondh

The agreement allowed the abortion practitioner 24 hours to make arrangements to settle the civil lawsuit Smith’s parents filed against him. Osathanondh agreed to pay the family $2 million as a punitive measure.