Man Pulls Gun on Pro-Life Advocates at San Diego Abortion Ctr

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Apr 1, 2011   |   7:11PM   |   San Diego, CA

Last Saturday, a man pulled a gun on pro-life advocates participating in a prayer campaign outside the Planned Parenthood abortion business in downtown San Diego.

While dozens of youth and young adults, mostly from the St. Therese Youth Group from Del Cerro, stood in the parking lot of the abortion busienss praying, a 4-door, black car with tinted windows pulled up to the abortion center. The vehicle briefly stopped when a pro-life sidewalk conselor named Terry approached the vehicle.

As she attempted to hand the drive a flier about the abortion practitioner and problem associated with him, he drove past her into the parking lot of Planned Parenthood and dropped off the woman who was in the back seat. According to the California Catholic Daily newspaper, the driver turned around the car to drive towards the exit and Terry again tried to hand him a flier, but the drive refused to accept it.

The driver then drove forward about 10 feet, stopped the car just before the street, and opened the car door. He leaned out of the car and asked Terry to come over towards him.

She approached, assuming he wanted to talk about the woman he dropped off for an apparent abortion. As she reached the vehicle, she hear d distinctive clicking sound making it appear a gun was being loaded. Cal Catholic indicates the man threatened her, pointing the semi-automatic pistol in her direction and telling her if she ever came close to his car again he would use the weapon.

As he drove away, Terry called police, who quickly responded and took statements. They remained on site for some time for the driver to return. Eventually police, according to the newspaper, the police were able to identify the man who he has not yet been apprehended or charged in connection with the incident.

Other pro-life advocates have seen guns pulled on them as they attempt to present abortion alternatives to women outside abortion facilities. The abortion practitioner who brandished a gun when heading to do abortions at the Charleston Women’s Medical Center abortion facility in West Ashley, South Carolina in October is headed to trial.

Earlier this month, Charleston County Associate Chief Magistrate James B. Gosnell Jr. issued a ruling at a preliminary hearing saying enough evidence exists for the case against Gary Boyle, 62, of Blountville, Tennessee, to move forward. Boyle lives in Tennessee but does abortions at the facility near Charleston.

Apparently upset at the fact that local pro-life advocates had been participating in the national 40 Days for Life campaign, Boyle met their peaceful presence by pulling a gun.

Boyle drove his silver Lexus vehicle into the parking lot and he allegedly approached the pro-life advocates, including a 17-year-old boy, and produced a black handgun loaded with 15 rounds. As Boyle, who also runs the Bristol Regional Women’s Center abortion facility in Tennessee, made his way to the abortion business, 50-year-old pro-life resident John Karafa called 911.

Police arrested Boyle and charged him with pointing a firearm.