Mike Pence: Video Another Reason to De-Fund Planned Parenthood

National   Steven Ertelt   Feb 2, 2011   |   6:28PM    Washington, DC

Congressman Mike Pence, the sponsor of legislation that would revoke the taxpayer funding Planned Parenthood and other abortion businesses receive under the family planning program, says the new expose’ video is another reason to cut funding.

The video, released Tuesday, is an expose’ of the Planned Parenthood abortion business conducted by two undercover investigators who pose as operators of a sex trafficking ring. In the video, a Planned Parenthood staffer helps the sex trafficking perpetrators secure abortions for underage women.

The video shows how the sex traffickers are shown how to get the young, illegally-imported girls back on the street to further the sex trade shortly after their abortions and how the sex trafficking actors are directed by Planned Parenthood officials to another, more shady, abortion center that will give them less grief about the abortions on the young women.

Pence said the video showing “potential criminal activity at a Planned Parenthood clinic in New Jersey” is another reason for his legislation.

“The recent release of an undercover video exposing duplicity and potential criminality by an employee of Planned Parenthood is an outrage,” he said. “Every American should be shocked that an employee of the largest recipient of federal funds under Title X has been recorded aiding and abetting underage sex trafficking.”

“The time to deny any and all funding to Planned Parenthood is now. In the wake of yet another scandal involving Planned Parenthood, I urge Congress to move the Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act to the floor for immediate consideration,” he added.

The Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act ensures that taxpayer money authorized by the federal government for family planning efforts supposedly to reduce abortions don’t go to the nation’s biggest abortion business.

Last year alone, according to Planned Parenthood’s own annual report, it received more than $363 million in revenue from government grants and contracts. During that same timeframe, it did 324,008 abortions, a 5.8 percent increase from the previous year, which also set a record high at that time.

The Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act would not reduce the total amount of funds available for family planning but would block funding to organizations that perform abortions, like Planned Parenthood — which does more than one-quarter of all abortions in the United States. Title X is the only federal grant program dedicated solely to providing comprehensive family planning and related preventative health services, and there are a number of federally funded clinics across the nation that offer beneficial services including patient counseling, breast cancer screenings, HIV prevention education and more. 

The nation’s largest abortion provider is also under investigation in multiple states including Indiana, California, Alabama and Tennessee for allegations of fraudulent use of Title X funding.