USA Today Poll Confirms: Americans Disapprove of Obama, Health Care Bill
by Steven Ertelt
March 30, 2010
Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) — A new USA Today poll confirms what others released yesterday show: Americans disapprove of both pro-abortion President Barack Obama and the pro-abortion health care bill he signed. The survey comes after ones from CNN and Rasmussen showing voters upset with Obama and wanting the law reversed.
Nearly two-thirds of those polled by USA Today and Gallup say the new health care law costs too much and expands the government’s role in health care too far.
Meanwhile, 50 percent disapproved of the job Obama is doing as president while just 47 percent approved — mirroring the bad numbers he had in the Rasmussen poll from yesterday. This is the first time his disapproval rating hit 50 percent in the USA Today poll.
When it comes to health care, those who oppose the bill are more likely to say it will impact their vote in the November mid-term elections. While about 30 percent of Americans are more likely to support candidates who oppose the bill, a lower 25 percent are more likely to support candidates who favor it.
Half call passage of the bill "a bad thing" and 47% "a good thing." And 53 percent said Democrats engaged in "an abuse of power" by enacting the measure without any Republican support and employing rarely-used procedural tactics to do it.
A new Gallup survey released Monday showed Obama’s approval ratings tying a previous historic low.
Gallup tracks daily the percentage of Americans who approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as president and 46 percent disapprove while 46 percent approve.
And when it comes to the bill itself, Americans strongly oppose the legislation.
CNN released a new poll showing 56 percent of Americans disapprove of the legislation while just 42 percent approve of it. Only 15 percent of those polled said they have "no reservations" about the new pro-abortion health care law.
CNN found 26 percent of Americans say they are angry about passage of the bill while another 27 percent are displeased — for a total of 53 percent. Just 45 percent are either pleased (30%) or enthusiastic (15%) about its passage.
Meanwhile, a new Rasmussen poll released Monday showed 54% of the nation’s likely voters still favor repealing the new law while just 42 percent oppose repeal.
Those figures are virtually unchanged from last week and they include 44 percent who strongly favor repeal and just 34 percent who strongly oppose it.
Repeal is favored by 84% of Republicans and 59% of independent voters while 25 percent of Democrats back repeal as well.
Sign Up for Free Pro-Life News From LifeNews.com
Daily Pro-Life News Report Twice-Weekly Pro-Life
News Report Receive a free daily email report from LifeNews.com with the latest pro-life news stories on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here. Receive a free twice-weekly email report with the latest pro-life news headlines on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here.