Health Department Probes NY Abortionist Who Killed Woman in Failed Abortion

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Feb 23, 2010   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Health Department Probes NY Abortionist Who Killed Woman in Failed Abortion

by Steven Ertelt Editor
February 23
, 2010

Queens, NY ( — The New York state health department has indicated it has begun an investigation into abortion practitioner Salomon Epstein, who recently killed a Hispanic woman at his New York City abortion center.

Last month, 37-year-old Alexandra Nuñez died after a botched abortion claimed her life at the A-1 Women’s Care abortion center located in Jackson Heights.

Now, the pro-life group Operation Rescue tells that it has been notified by the State of New York Department of Health that Epstein is now under investigation for his part in the abortion.

The investigation, conducted by the Office of Professional Medical Conduct, is the result of a complaint filed by Operation Rescue staffer Tara Shaver and the case is OPMC #10-02-0688.

A-1 Women’s Center is located in a run-down building in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood of Jackson Heights and it was only recently licensed in July of last year to do surgical procedures that required anesthesia.

In the botched abortion, emergency officials responded to an emergency call from the A1 Medicine facility at 95-45 Roosevelt. There, they found Alexandra Nuñez bleeding very heavily following an abortion procedure and she was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital Center where she was later pronounced dead.

No charges have been filed yet in connection with Nunez’s death, but Newman said Epstein should be charged and the abortion facility investigation because of poor conditions.

"Just one look at the A-1 Women’s Center and it is easy to guess why this happened. I wouldn’t take my dog there," OR president Troy Newman said.

Newman says the abortion business is similar to others around the nation that are run poorly, in shoddy condition, and prey on minority women.

"Nasty little abortion clinics like this spring up in Hispanic and Black neighborhoods in order to prey on vulnerable women instead of offering them real solutions and hope," he told

"We are glad to do our part to protect women from dangerous and predatory abortion mills like this one. May the investigation result in its permanent closure," he said.

Despite the abortion death, staff at the abortion center, who did not return a phone call seeking comment, told the New York Daily News that everything went properly during the abortion procedure and that they are still booking women for abortions.

"The patient was transferred to the hospital, she didn’t die at the clinic," a woman from the clinic told the newspaper. "Nothing happened here."

"There is an investigation going forward," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said according to the newspaper, "but as of yet, there’s no indication of any criminality."

The news of Nunez’s death stunned her family because she told them she was headed to a medical center in Newark, New Jersey to have a cyst removed — apparently not wanting them to know she was headed to an abortion clinic.

"I’m upset because I never got a chance to say goodbye," sister Daisy Davila, 19, told the News. "She didn’t want anyone to go with her. I made dinner and lunch [yesterday] hoping she would come back."

"We’re not angry. We just want to know what happened," said Davila, who told the newspaper her mother did not believe in abortion. "She was a strong woman, always happy. I looked up to her."

Reports indicate the second-floor office specializes in plastic surgery, laser wrinkle surgery, skin depigmentation and liposuction but does abortions as well.

Sign Up for Free Pro-Life News From

Daily Pro-Life News Report Twice-Weekly Pro-Life
News Report
Receive a free daily email report from with the latest pro-life news stories on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here. Receive a free twice-weekly email report with the latest pro-life news headlines on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here.