Woman Victimized by Forced Abortion Will Seek Criminal Charges Against Hodari

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Dec 2, 2009   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Woman Victimized by Forced Abortion Will Seek Criminal Charges Against Hodari

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
December 2
, 2009

Flint, MI (LifeNews.com) — The Michigan woman victimized last year by a forced abortion at the hands of abortion practitioner Alberto Hodari is now seeking criminal charges. Caitlin Bruce says Hodari and a staffer held her down and completed an abortion on her even though she changed her mind and voiced her objections beforehand.

Tom Pabst, the attorney for the 20-year-old woman, said he will file papers with Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton tomorrow and Bruce hopes he will file criminal charges against Hodari.

Bruce has already filed a civil lawsuit and her request for criminal charges comes days after a national pro-life group said it asked the state attorney general to investigate the matter.

Bruce has said in an interview with a local television station that Hodari’s abortion center staff member held her down and covered her mouth as Hodari did the abortion in her in April 2008 at his WomanCare, or Feminine Health Care Clinic, abortion business.

Pabst said Bruce waited to long to file criminal charges because she knew it wouldn’t bring her baby back and didn’t she anything else could be done to hold Hodari accountable.

“She’s not a Philadelphia lawyer … she doesn’t know the law,” he told the Flint News.

Hodari’s attorney said he was in the middle of the abortion procedure when Bruce voiced her objections and that he was required to finish it for her safety.

Leyton told the News that it is not likely that any charges will be filed because Bruce never issued a complaint and there is no evidence gathered in the case that would normally be compiled shortly afterwards.

“There’s never been a police investigation because there’s never been a police complaint which was a deliberate decision by the young lady,” said Leyton.

Meanwhile, Nick Deleeuw, spokesman for the Michigan Attorney General’s office, said the case is under review and that the office would analyze it with "due diligence."

More details in the case came by way of an article in the Flint Journal on Sunday.

Bruce never filed her own criminal complaint against Hodari at the time because "she was young and knew it wouldn’t bring her baby back," according to the newspaper.

The article also indicated that the abortion center employee present during Bruce’s abortion said in a statement that was filed with the lawsuit that Hodari told Bruce that he would not do her abortion and was sending her home, but instead forced the abortion on her. He then grinned as he completed the abortion.

Sign Up for Free Pro-Life News From LifeNews.com

Daily Pro-Life News Report Twice-Weekly Pro-Life
News Report
Receive a free daily email report from LifeNews.com with the latest pro-life news stories on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here. Receive a free twice-weekly email report with the latest pro-life news headlines on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here.