Scott Peterson’s Family Seeking Donations to Help Appeal of Double Murder Case

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jul 17, 2009   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Scott Peterson’s Family Seeking Donations to Help Appeal of Double Murder Case

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
July 17
, 2009

Modesto, CA (LifeNews.com) — The family of Scott Peterson, who was convicted of the double murders in the killings of his wife Laci Peterson and unborn child Conner, are seeking donations. They are saying on their web site that they need cash to pay for legal help in the appeal of Peterson’s convictions.

Peterson was sentenced in 2004 to the death penalty after a jury found him guilty of killing Laci and Conner.

He now resides in San Quentin State Prison while his case is on appeal to the California Supreme Court.

Even though the state of California pays for the appeal, because it is triggered automatically by state law in death penalty cases, the Peterson family is seeking $95,000 to pay for an independent investigation to provide ammunition to help Peterson win.

"We have been very blessed in that our parents have been able to pay for Scott’s defense and appellate attorneys for the past 6 years. But the reality of today is that they have exhausted their resources," Peterson’s siblings say on a web site dedicated to his case.

Peterson also wrote a post that the family added to his site last month asking for help.

"I know that we can show my innocence again. I hope to do it before much time goes by," he said.

In a videotape Peterson made last year in connection with the civil lawsuit Laci and Conner’s family file against him, Peterson said he is a victim of a shoddy investigation by Modesto police that made him appear guilty.

A recent profile in People magazine showed Peterson now spends 19 hours a day locked inside his prison cell.

The Peterson case resulted in the passage of a national law and measures in state legislatures to provide more protection and justice for pregnant women and their unborn children when they are killed or injured in an attack.

President Bush signed the national Unborn Victims of Violence Act into law following the incident and other states soon followed suit.

Sign Up for Free Pro-Life News From LifeNews.com

Daily Pro-Life News Report Twice-Weekly Pro-Life
News Report
Receive a free daily email report from LifeNews.com with the latest pro-life news stories on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here. Receive a free twice-weekly email report with the latest pro-life news headlines on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here.