Abortion Practitioner Faces September Trial for Killing Woman in Botched Abortion

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jan 1, 2009   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Abortion Practitioner Faces September Trial for Killing Woman in Botched Abortion

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
March 6
, 2009

Hyannis, MA (LifeNews.com) — Abortion practitioner Rapin Osathanondh, who has been charged with manslaughter after killing one of his patients in a botched legal abortion, will face trial in September. Osathanondh did the abortion on 22-year-old Laura Smith, who died in September 2007 at his Women’s Health Center abortion business.

Osathanondh was indicted last July by a grand jury after an investigation by local police, state police and the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine.

Laura, who was adopted at the age of four from Honduras by her parents, was 13 weeks into the pregnancy when she had the abortion. Osathanondh reportedly sedated her and did not have another other staff members on site who had appropriate medical training to monitor Smith’s vital signs during the abortion.

Smith died shortly after the abortion, on September 13, 2007.

Officials say Laura died from "cardiac pulmonary arrest during anesthesia during a voluntary termination of pregnancy" — known as an abortion.

The September trial in Barnstable Superior Court is expected to last two weeks

Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe released information about the charges last year and called Smith’s death a “terrible tragedy.”

“I’ve been in constant communication with Laura’s mother and other family members and I know how this has affected them and it’s a terrible thing," he said.

He said that Osathanondh’s medical negligence and deficient actions led to her death.

"The evidence made out a case of willful, wanton and reckless conduct with respect to how this medical procedure was carried out,” O’Keefe last July.

The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine revoked Osathanondh’s license after investigating the abortion death and Osathanondh gave up his medical license permanently following the decision.

Laura’s mother, Eileen Smith, has pursued legal action against Osathanondh in a civil lawsuit.

"Our family wants justice," Eileen Smith wrote in an affidavit accompanying the lawsuit. "They want to see the man who took her life pay for what he has done to Laura and our family."

"Today I am picking out her tombstone when I should be picking out my mother of the bride dress," Eileen Smith added. "Rapin Osathanondh has caused great harm and there is no end in sight."

The pro-life group Operation Rescue has been closely following the case and it told LifeNews.com previously that Smith’s mother Eileen has been dealing with some local officials who won’t acknowledge that the abortion caused her daughter’s death.

Smith said a Sheriff’s Deputy in another county provided Osathanondh and his abortion center staff with CPR training, then backdated the session to a date prior to Laura’s death. The official apparently did so with the full knowledge that someone had recently died at the abortion center.

Osathanondh and his staff had been uncertified in CPR until that time, Smith said.

"I’m appalled that an officer of the law would be involved in that," Eileen Smith said. "Thank God this has been exposed."

The pro-life group indicated Smith has filed a complaint in Bristol County against the deputy.

Sign Up for Free Pro-Life News From LifeNews.com

Daily Pro-Life News Report Twice-Weekly Pro-Life
News Report
Receive a free daily email report from LifeNews.com with the latest pro-life news stories on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here. Receive a free twice-weekly email report with the latest pro-life news headlines on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here.