Civil Lawsuit Laci’s Family Filed Against Scott Peterson Pushed Back
by Steven Ertelt
June 26, 2008
Modesto, CA (LifeNews.com) — The civil lawsuit the family of Laci Peterson filed against Scott Peterson for his role in the killings of Laci and her unborn child Conner has been pushed back. The trial had been scheduled to begin July 8 but Stanislaus County Superior Court Judge Roger Beauchesne pushed it back.
His decision came after attorneys file a motion to delay and lawyers for both sides will meet with Judge Beauchesne on July 21 to set a new trial date.
In 2003, Scott was convicted of killing both Laci and Conner and dumping their bodies in San Francisco Bay on Christmas Eve 2002.
Laci’s parents Dennis and Sharon Rocha filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Peterson seeking a multi-million dollar judgement against him.
The lawsuit is an effort to make sure Peterson never makes any money by selling the rights to his story to the media for a movie, book or other method.
Earlier this month, Peterson pleaded innocent to the charges, which included two counts of murder thanks to a California unborn victims law that holds criminals accountable when they kill or injure an unborn child in an attack on his mother.
Peterson’s defense attorney Nareg Gourjian referred to a videotape Peterson made saying he is innocent. He says he is a victim of a shoddy investigation by Modest police that made him appear guilty.
In the videotaped deposition, according to the Modesto Bee newspaper, Peterson used his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination more than 195 times to avoid answering questions.
Knowing he will not be transported to the court to appear in person to defend himself in the case, he acknowledged the videotape was a chance to set the record straight on what happened.
In the tape, the newspaper indicated Peterson talked about his grief as losing his wife and unborn baby.
"I love my wife," Peterson said. "I love my son. I will always love them. I have always loved them. I should be able to hug them right now. I should be able to hold my son."
Stanislaus County Superior Court Judge Roger Beauchesne ruled after the hearing that Peterson would have to stand trial in the civil case.
Part of the case will revolve around whether the trial will focus solely on monetary issues or if the Rochas will have to prove whether Peterson, in fact, killed Laci and Conner.
Judge Beauchesne’s ruling indicated the guilty verdict and conviction was not sufficient to prevent the Rochas from having to prove Scott killed his wife and eight-month-old unborn child.
Scott Peterson received a sentence of the death penalty following the criminal trial.
Sign Up for Free Pro-Life News From LifeNews.com
Daily Pro-Life News Report Twice-Weekly Pro-Life
News Report Receive a free daily email report from LifeNews.com with the latest pro-life news stories on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here. Receive a free twice-weekly email report with the latest pro-life news headlines on abortion, euthanasia and stem cell research. Sign up here.