British Mother Gives Tribute to Daughter Who Died From Botched Abortion

International   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jun 13, 2008   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

British Mother Gives Tribute to Daughter Who Died From Botched Abortion

RSS Newsfeed Email article
Add to My Yahoo! Printer friendly

by Steven Ertelt Editor
June 13
, 2008

Bristol, England ( — During the court hearing on Thursday into the death of a teenager girl from a legal abortion, the girl’s mother offered a tribute to her daughter. Meanwhile, the court also heard that the hospital where Manon Jones sought emergency medical care following the botched abortion waited too long to help.

Jones, an 18-year-old student from Wales, experienced heavy bleeding after the abortion, which appeared to have involved the dangerous RU 486 abortion drug, and eventually died.

After the abortion, Jones felt light-headed over subsequent days and began experiencing abnormal bleeding. She then became what is believed to be the fourteenth woman to have died after using the dangerous abortion drug.

She admitted herself to Southmead Hospital in Bristol in June 2005 following the abortion but doctors were unable to save her. Four days later, Jones was dead.

According to a BBC report, hospital blood tests showed she needed a complete transfusion — something that has frequently occurred after mifepristone abortions in the United States.

However, another emergency broke out in the crowded Bristol hospital and Jones’ condition deteriorated to the point she needed life support.

The BBC indicated the post-mortem tests showed she died of low hemoglobin levels and shocked caused by a failed abortion that left part of the unborn child inside her uterus.

The North Bristol NHS Trust said it accepted the findings and indicated an internal hospital investigation will be carried out related to Jones’ death. The hospital also said it would take better measures to ensure similar patients are treated more quickly in the future.

Meanwhile, Jones mother, Llywela, paid tribute to her daughter during the inquest.

She said Jones was "full of imagination, humor and originality."

"Her enthusiasm and bubbly personality never failed to amuse me and many others who came to know her," she told the court, according to the BBC. "She was always involved in school activities like singing in the school choir at Christmas concerts, competitions and school sketches."

"She would sing in special family services in chapel and took part in the church youth club’s activities which included musical drama which toured down to south Wales," the mother added.

"To have such a beautiful precious daughter end her life in such a way, it seemed such an unnecessary tragedy, a mother’s worst fears come true," she concluded.