Christian Group Says Barack Obama Would Become the "Abortion President"
by Steven Ertelt
May 22, 2008
Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) — A Christian organization is preparing a new educational campaign to inform voters about Barack Obama’s pro-abortion views since it appears he is more likely to become the Democratic presidential nominee. The Christian Defense Coalition says Obama would become the "abortion president."
The group told LifeNews.com on Thursday that Obama’s views on abortion would be the most radical and extremist of any president in history.
The CDC says they are completely out of step with the opinions of mainstream America.
"For all his talk on change and social justice, Senator Obama clings to and embraces archaic and radical pro-abortion policies that most Americans find appalling," says Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, director of the group.
"While the majority of Americans are growing more and more uncomfortable with abortion rights, Senator Obama wants to radically expand them and even ask people of faith to pay for abortions," he added. "Senator Obama, this is change we can live without."
Over the next several weeks leading up to the Democratic convention, the Christian Defense Coalition plans to launch a national campaign exposing Obama’s views. The group hopes to reach both Catholic and evangelical voters with the message.
Mahoney points to the following positions as displaying Obama’s pro-abortion views:
* While a state senator in Illinois, Senator Obama opposed legislation which would prevent the killing of infants that survived late-term abortions.
* Senator Obama opposed the ban on partial-birth abortions, which the Supreme Court found to be constitutional.
* Obama has said one of the first things he would do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act which would radically expand abortion, make legal abortions federal law, and overturn pro-life state laws nationwide.
* Obama recently said after speculating if one of his daughters became pregnant that, "…if they made a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby."
* Senator Obama would make Catholics and evangelicals pay for abortions through his health care plan.