Misuse of Digoxin Heart Drug Resulted in Botched Abortion, Baby’s Birth

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jul 31, 2007   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Misuse of Digoxin Heart Drug Resulted in Botched Abortion, Baby’s Birth Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
July 31,

Detroit, MI (LifeNews.com) — Abortion businesses are misusing a heart medication called Digoxin to do second-trimester abortions now that the Supreme Court has upheld the national ban on partial-birth abortions. However, the drug could put women’s health at risk and has already resulted in one botched abortion in Florida where a bay was born alive.

As LifeNews.com has reported, several abortion businesses in Michigan are using the drug to kill the unborn child in utero to avoid a partial-birth and be in compliance with the new law.

Other abortion businesses have misused digoxin for years prior to the ruling and one such abortion facility is the EPOC Clinic of the Orlando Women’s Center in Orlando, Florida.

The abortion center came under fire in April 2005 for failing to assist a woman whose baby was born alive there.

The woman, Angele, was 22 weeks pregnant at the time of the incident. In an interview, she told WorldNetDaily workers there had convinced her that her unborn baby would feel no pain during the abortion because they would use digoxin to kill her baby in the initial stages of the abortion.

Angele had chosen the “labor and delivery process" for her abortion as opposed to partial-birth abortion or dismemberment. She thought it would be less harmful for her unborn baby.

“I wanted it to be as humane and painless as possible for my son," Angele told WorldNetDaily. “They told me they would guide a needle directly into his heart and it would put him to sleep, and he wouldn’t feel anything."

Following her initial visit to the abortion facility, she could feel the baby still moving within her. The next day she took pills meant to induce labor.

"I waited outside, cramping and crying, for the clinic to open. My contractions were close. I had been having them for hours. I knocked repeatedly at the door," Angele said.

After she obtained access to the abortion facility, she delivered her son.

"In one agonizing push, I felt and heard something come out. Then immediately another push. I was weak. I just held my head in my hands for a moment. Then I decided to stand up. I looked. There was my baby, the whitish cord and what I thought surely must be the placenta," Angele told WorldNetDaily.

Angele added, “I started sobbing and lay down (on) the floor. I stared and stared at my son. I was horrified that I had just had him in a commode."

Angele then screamed for help for her son, whom she called Rowan.

When an abortion facility employee finally arrived, she refused to call 911 for the baby, who was still moving. Angele ended up calling a friend, asking her to call an ambulance. But Rowan died before help arrived.