New Jersey Investigators Continue to Probe Abortion Center on Health Probs

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jun 27, 2007   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

New Jersey Investigators Continue to Probe Abortion Center on Health Probs Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
June 27
, 2007

Atlantic City, NJ ( — State health inspectors continue to investigate an Atlantic City abortion business that has been found to have multiple health code violations. The problems at the Alternatives abortion center were so profound that state officials closed the abortion facility last week.

The probe found that the abortion center had problems with infection control issues, poor documentation and recordkeeping and problems with the facility itself.

Health inspectors would not tell the press more about the problems until they conclude the investigation.

According to the Atlantic City Press newspaper, Alan Kline, a retired physician owns the Alternatives abortion business, which is located on Pennsylvania Avenue well as the Princeton Women’s Center abortion facility in Princeton.

A spokesman told the newspaper Kline may issue a statement soon about the investigation but hadn’t so far.

New Jersey’s Department of Health and Human Services spokesman Tom Slater said Kline and abortion center staff have been compliant in the probe and they are “very eager to get things done and get the clinic reopened.”

“Some violations occurred and there were enough in several areas that we agreed to curtail admissions," he said previously about why Alternatives was closed.

This is the second time state officials have closed an abortion center there in recent months because of health code violations.

Earlier this year, state officials closed the Metropolitan Medical Associates abortion business in Englewood after a botched abortion went so badly that a young woman nearly died as a result.

The state shut it down for several weeks but it reopened in March after supposedly correcting the health and safety problems it had.

State health officials closed the abortion business after Newark Beth Israel Medical center filed a complaint reporting that a 20 year-old woman nearly died from a botched abortion at Metropolitan.

The abortion center failed a followup inspection two weeks and authorities released information to a local newspaper recently on the shoddy conditions there.

Papers from the state obtained by the Bergen Record newspaper indicated that health authorities inspected the abortion center every year from 1990 to 1996 but did not show up again for an inspection until 2000 and then once again in 2002. There were no inspections after that.

In their review, health inspectors found dirt and debris throughout the abortion facility, open packages of items that were supposed to remain sterilized before their use, and other problems.