New Jersey Sees Second Abortion Business Closed After Health Violations

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jun 25, 2007   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

New Jersey Sees Second Abortion Business Closed After Health Violations Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
June 25
, 2007

Atlantic City, NJ ( — Another abortion business has been shut down in New Jersey for violating the state’s health codes — this time in the gambling capital of the Northeast. The Atlantic City abortion center known as Alternatives, located on Pacific Avenue, is the latest one to be closed.

State officials forced the abortion facility to shut down last week after inspectors found several violations, according to a state health department representative.

The Atlantic City Press reports that officials returned to the abortion business on Monday to continue their probe.

Health Department spokesman Tom Slater spoke with the newspaper about the problems the agency encountered.

“Some violations occurred and there were enough in several areas that we agreed to curtail admissions," he said.

Earlier this year, state officials closed the Metropolitan Medical Associates abortion business in Englewood after a botched abortion went so badly that a young woman nearly died as a result.

The state shut it down for several weeks but it reopened in March after supposedly correcting the health and safety problems it had. state2179.html

State health officials closed the abortion business after Newark Beth Israel Medical center filed a complaint reporting that a 20 year-old woman nearly died from a botched abortion at Metropolitan.

The abortion center failed a followup inspection two weeks and authorities released information to a local newspaper recently on the shoddy conditions there.

Papers from the state obtained by the Bergen Record newspaper indicated that health authorities inspected the abortion center every year from 1990 to 1996 but did not show up again for an inspection until 2000 and then once again in 2002. There were no inspections after that.

In their review, health inspectors found dirt and debris throughout the abortion facility, open packages of items that were supposed to remain sterilized before their use, and other problems.