by Steven Ertelt
June 3, 2007
Poland Man Awakens From 19 Year-Coma, Doctors Said He Would Die
Warsaw, Poland (LifeNews.com) — A Polish man who doctors said would survive only two to three years after an automobile accident in 1988 has awaken from a 19 year coma. Wheelchair-bound Jan Grzebski, a 65 year-old former railway worker entered the coma during a time of Communist rule in his native country and woke to find it a democracy and to see lots of other changes. "When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Grzebski "When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Grzebski said. He credited his caring wife Gertruda with his revival. "It was Gertruda that saved me, and I’ll never forget it" Grzebski told news channel TVN24. His physician, Dr. Boguslaw Poniatowsk, acknowledged the man’s wife’s actions as well. "For 19 years Mrs. Grzebska did the job of an experienced intensive care team, changing her comatose husband’s position every hour to prevent bed-sore infections," he said. Grzebski awoke to find his four children had all married and produced 11 grandchildren during his years in hospital. He said he vaguely recalled the family gatherings he was taken to while in a coma and his wife and children trying to communicate with him.
Canada Pro-Life Advocate Says Media Ignored Recent March for Life
Ottawa, Canada (LifeNews.com) — A leading pro-life advocate in Canada is chiding the nation’s media there saying that it ignored the recent March for Life that took place. As LifeNews.com previously reported, thousands of Canadians went to the nation’s capital to register their opposition to abortion. Corrie Haas, president of Renfrew County Right to Life in Ontario said there were 6,800 people attending but was chagrined that CBC-TV reported only about 1,500 people in attendance. She said that there was no room left in standing room only areas for two church services that led off the march. "Pro-Lifers who have faithfully witnessed at this event for years, have had to endure the insult of being ignored," she said. "Letters to the CBC and to the big dailies have had no effect. One would think that such a significant gathering of almost 7,000 people would warrant some coverage. However, since Parliament officially favors the status quo on the issue of abortion on demand, the media feel perfectly justified to ignore us. I would say they are practicing censorship by willful omission."
Texas Town of McAllen Lifts Funding Ban on Planned Parenthood
McAllen, Texas (LifeNews.com) — City commissioners reinstated local funding to Planned Parenthood on Tuesday, this time for a program to educate low-income women about HPV. The Planned Parenthood facility in McAllen is now set to receive $15,000 to raise awareness about HPV — medically known as the human papillomavirus — half of what the group requested and part of a $2.6 million package handed out to non-profit groups citywide. Up until 2004, Planned Parenthood had received funding through McAllen’s Community Development Block Grant program to provide HIV screenings. However, that money was instead handed to the Valley AIDS Council for a similar program, a decision that was largely seen as an affront to Planned Parenthood’s pro-abortion stance. While no abortions are done there, the Planned Parenthood does refer women to businesses make money from doing them. City Commissioner John J. Ingram was the lone vote against funding Planned Parenthood’s HPV awareness program, citing a flurry of phone calls and e-mails he received from upset citizens. “I’ve never had so many phone calls on an issue,” Ingram said. “I can’t in good conscience approve this.”